Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Is this a fake Bontrager carbon seatpost?

denniskwokdenniskwok Posts: 339
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I've just done a buy it now on this seatpost listing (I know, I should have looked before leaping):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BONTRAGER-CAR ... 3a818f0c84

Item number is: 251281738884

Can anyone please give me some advice and tell me if it's a Chinese knock-off or not? I haven't paid for the item yet and would like a second opinion from the folks on here before coughing up. I've already asked the seller for a yes or no.

Thanks in advance,
Den

Posts

  • danlikesbikesdanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Hard to tell as the photos look like stock ones to me & not ones taken by the seller.

    If you look at their other items all appear with some sort of a background & this one is simply all white so unless they bought a light box would assume they didn't want to take the items out of the box & just borrowed from the manufacturers website or somewhere else on the net
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • letap73letap73 Posts: 1,608
    At that price I would say yes. the Bontrager + Ritchey seatposts which retail for £100+ are ones to look out for as fakes on Ebay. I myself was stung, although the seatpost in question is actually a very good seatpost.
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    If the price is too good to be true it usually is. Seller has had some dodgy feedback.

    Message him and tell him it is a direct replacement for one you have, and that you hope it isn't a fake. See what he says.
  • alleztozalleztoz Posts: 8
    there are some interesting comments in the seller's feedback
  • alleztoz wrote:
    there are some interesting comments in the seller's feedback

    Looks like he's selling a lot of fake stuff
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • denniskwokdenniskwok Posts: 339
    Yeah, alarm bells started rining when I noticed another seller selling the same model seatpost for pretty much the same price, which I found a little odd. Looked at the sellers negative feedback and then did a little research as to the availability of fake Bontrager Race XXX Lite seatposts and found multiple Chinese sellers. Unfortunately, I only did all this after I'd already pressed Buy It Now. :roll:

    I've clearly asked if the seatpost is a genuine Bontrager item before I pay. This was five hours ago and no reply as yet.

    Den
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    Don't pay. He can start an action if he wants but is unlikely to if it's fake
  • Weeman1973Weeman1973 Posts: 471
    Same here - paid £35 from this very seller.

    Was convinced it was a fake when it pitched up. In it's defence, it is a very lightweight seatpost but not sure of it's durabilty.
    letap73 wrote:
    At that price I would say yes. the Bontrager + Ritchey seatposts which retail for £100+ are ones to look out for as fakes on Ebay. I myself was stung, although the seatpost in question is actually a very good seatpost.
  • denniskwokdenniskwok Posts: 339
    Weeman1973 wrote:
    Same here - paid £35 from this very seller.

    Was convinced it was a fake when it pitched up. In it's defence, it is a very lightweight seatpost but not sure of it's durabilty.

    How is it performance wise (flex/comfort, finish, adjustment, seat rail clamping)? Any issues?
  • Weeman1973Weeman1973 Posts: 471
    denniskwok wrote:
    Weeman1973 wrote:
    Same here - paid £35 from this very seller.

    Was convinced it was a fake when it pitched up. In it's defence, it is a very lightweight seatpost but not sure of it's durabilty.

    How is it performance wise (flex/comfort, finish, adjustment, seat rail clamping)? Any issues?

    Finish, adjustment & saddle clamping are all fine - I don't think it gives as comfortable a ride as my MOST carbon seat post which is why I have gone back to that.

    The adjustment is single screw so much easier than the MOST in terms of saddle set up which is why I changed to this style in the first place
  • denniskwokdenniskwok Posts: 339
    Cheers for the feedback. I've told the seller to either give me reassurance that the item is genuine or to cancel my order. His non reply, tells me all I need to know.

    Have went for a 3T Dorico Ltd. from the classifieds on here instead.
  • joelsimjoelsim Posts: 7,552
    denniskwok wrote:
    Cheers for the feedback. I've told the seller to either give me reassurance that the item is genuine or to cancel my order. His non reply, tells me all I need to know.

    Have went for a 3T Dorico Ltd. from the classifieds on here instead.

    Whatever you do, don't pay a bean
  • denniskwokdenniskwok Posts: 339
    Zero chance of that happening!
Sign In or Register to comment.