Critérium du Dauphiné pre race chat

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Rainy days so I hope you don't mind me starting this early. Running from Sunday Jun 2nd to 9th 2013, this year's Critérium du Dauphiné" consists of 8 stages, one of which is a 32.5km individual TT. Here is a link to the route.

http://www.letour.com/2013/CDD/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html

Here is a link to the latest, albeit incomplete, start list. For instance, I would not be surprised to see Kiryienka on the Sky team as well.

http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MjM2Nzk=

With respect to the other teams and riders, it will be interesting to see how the Froome vs Contador warm-up plays out. This might be a chance for some less well known climbers, such as Brajkovic, Fuglsang or Cunego to go for the overall whilst the big(ger) names get their training in.

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Been living in the Giro bubble, so pre-Dauphine chat eases my comedown...

Looking forward to the Dauphine, always look forward to it more than Suisse as the pre-Tour warm-up.

The site lists Suitsou - no way so close to the Giro. Kiryienka and Lopez in, and wouldnt be surprised to also see Eisel and Thomas in the line-up. Sky and Froome wont treat it as just a tuning warm up - they'll want to win the thing. Equally sure Contador will want to lay down a marker too. If he could beat Froome this time, huge boost before the Tour and a spoke in the Froome momentum.

Will this be the first time Fuglsang leads the team since joining Astana this year?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I like this race and I like many names on that starlist.

Sky are going to try and bring their diesel engines but I hope Quintana and Contador join forces and messes with them (shouldnt be too difficult) and then Kwiatkowski joins along.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ps. the parcour this year is looking lumpier than usual.

parcours.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    For those able to follow the stages live, you need to be aware of the projected finish times. With a nod to the likely tennis coverage on the TV, you need to anticipate that most finishes will be at around 1400 BST.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Looks a good route this year, slightly shorter TT and no prologue means a better balanced race.

Both Contador and Froome have something to prove here.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Looking forward to this. The early season stage races are frustrating because you can't be sure of just what kind of form the big Tour favourites are in. Some riders just turn up to get some miles into their legs rather than race.

But by the time we get to the Dauphine there's no real hiding place. If you're off the pace here then you'll likely find the Tour hard going.

The penultimate stage looks like a really tough stage.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Only just got round to going through the stage profiles. Seriously - Sprinters need not apply.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    The way that Leopold Konig (Netapp-Endura) was climbing at California suggests he might be one to watch at Dauphiné.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    More awful weather for the opening stages.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Man it really would have been AG2Rs home race would nt it :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Looking forward to this. Really interested to see how Warren Barguil gets on. I really hope he shows enough to bag a TDF spot.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Richmond Racer
    Wish the teams would all get a shift on and announce their line-ups
  • cristoff
    cristoff Posts: 229
    Is it being shown live on eurosport?
  • RonB
    Doesn't look likely... Game, set and match to Roland Garros. You will have to make do with ES highlights prog on late evenings or early the following morning. There might be some other way (other than streaming from the net) up on http://www.steephill.tv nearer the time, so I would keep a look out there.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RonB wrote:
    Doesn't look likely... Game, set and match to Roland Garros. You will have to make do with ES highlights prog on late evenings or early the following morning. There might be some other way (other than streaming from the net) up on http://www.steephill.tv nearer the time, so I would keep a look out there.

Do Eurosport usually show live Dauphine? If not they bloody well should.
  • Richmond Racer
    RonB wrote:

Do Eurosport usually show live Dauphine? If not they bloody well should.

They do - I definitely remember Bri Smith and Harmon commentating last year
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Sly Szmyd (Movistar) - he's another one. Looking forward to a performance from him. Similar to Kiryienka, he'd single-handedly decimate the lead group on the climbs for his leaders (Basso/Nibali back at in Liquigas' heyday).

What's happened to him for last couple of seasons?
  • inkyfingers
    According to the Eurosport "schedule" there is no live coverage, which is a bit s**t.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Sly Szmyd (Movistar) - he's another one. Looking forward to a performance from him. Similar to Kiryienka, he'd single-handedly decimate the lead group on the climbs for his leaders (Basso/Nibali back at in Liquigas' heyday).

Seems to have gone right off the boil
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Seems to have gone right off the boil

Coincidentally I was thinking just that last week, I think one of the Giro commentators mentioned his name for some reason. Could this be PED related (i.e. not on them now) ?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    According to the Eurosport "schedule" there is no live coverage, which is a bit s**t.

According to their schedule, live coverage on Monday and from Thursday onwards.
    Obviously, this is subject to tennis running over, which will cut or cancel coverage,
    or rain in Paris, which would mean live cycling and highlights then cut, were play at RG to resume.

Best of luck with all of that.

It's live, each day, on Rai sport 2.
    (also live, each day on French Eurosport 2)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    I like this race and I like many names on that starlist.

HUSHOVD Thor
    NAVARRO GARCIA Daniel
    SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel
    VANENDERT Jelle
    CHAVANEL Sylvain
    VOECKLER Thomas
    CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto
    HOOGERLAND Johnny

:D:D:D

Where's Philippe Gilbert? Or Peter Sagan? Or Griepel?
  • morpheus_p
    morpheus_p Posts: 21
    Sunday 02/06 22:30 Highlights British Eurosport 2
    Cycling: Criterium du Dauphine - Stage 1 (75min)

Monday 03/06 12:00 Live British Eurosport 2
    Live Cycling: Criterium du... - Stage 2 (120min)

Monday 03/06 23:00 Highlights British Eurosport
    Cycling: Criterium du Dauphine - Stage 2 (60min)

Tuesday 04/06 18:30 British Eurosport 2
    Cycling: Criterium du Dauphine - Stage 3 (120min)

Tuesday 04/06 22:30 British Eurosport
    Cycling: Criterium du Dauphine - Stage 3 (30min)

Wednesday 05/0618:30 British Eurosport 2
    Cycling: Criterium - Criterium du Dauphine: Stage 4 (90min)

Thursday 06/06 12:00 British Eurosport 2
    Live Cycling: Criterium du... - Stage 5 (120min)

Friday 07/06 12:00 British Eurosports 2
    Live Cycling: Criterium du... - Criterium du Dauphine: Stage 6 (120min)

Saturday 08/06 12:00 British Eurosport 2
    Live Cycling: Criterium du... - Criterium du Dauphine: Stage 7 (120min)

Sunday 09/06 17:15 British Eurosport
    Cycling: Criterium du Dauphine - Criterium du Dauphine: Stage 8 (60min)
  • RonB
    At last, a full start list is up on the op's link. I do find the BMC team a bit baffling though. Maybe van Garderen is going to be in the Tour de Suisse?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    RonB wrote:
    At last, a full start list is up on the op's link. I do find the BMC team a bit baffling though. Maybe van Garderen is going to be in the Tour de Suisse?
    He is. Along with Gilbert. Remember BMC are essentially a Swiss team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    No Quintana till the Tour, folks :(

Movistar's confirmed it
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Just noticed that Quintana has been removed from the Movistar team on the Cyclingfever site and isn't down to do the TdS. I do hope nothing is wrong with him.

Edit: RR beat me to it. Anyone know what the deal is? That's not ideal preparation surely?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • frenchfighter
    Movistar`s team:

Herrada
    Szmyd
    Capecchi
    Castroviejo
    Erviti
    Madrazo
    Teruel
    Valverde

Like you say, Deadcalm, no Quintana. Still, Valverde is racing so the fans still have a rider from this team prepared to light up the roads and take it to the factory press boys.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Still, Valverde is racing so the fans still have a rider from this team prepared to sit in the wheels all day and jump them with 250m to go

Made a slight adjustment Frenchie.

:wink:
  • Richmond Racer
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Just noticed that Quintana has been removed from the Movistar team on the Cyclingfever site and isn't down to do the TdS. I do hope nothing is wrong with him.

Edit: RR beat me to it. Anyone know what the deal is? That's not ideal preparation surely?

They could just be protecting a young rider from over-racing pre-Tour? Or he has a slight niggle that they want to nurse