The worst thing about living in the Lakes...

Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
edited May 2013 in Road general
...is that come the holiday season, even the quietest roads become rat-runs:

ItWouldbeEasierifEveryoneRodeaBike_zpse3cd15ce.jpg[/URL]

Still, it has its benefits:

LookingAcrossLoweswater_zpsdf7d4487.jpg[/URL]

...and you get to walk/pedal up some big hills, this is the summit of Skiddaw:

SkiddawSummit_zpsfbae8aea.jpg[/URL]

...and the view over Keswick on the way down:

LookingDownonKeswick_zps6b3c6ef8.jpg[/URL]

A great day out, 97 miles covered, only spoilt by the frigging Garmin screwing up. Route took me from Ravenglass, over Cold Fell, over Honnister, up to the top of Skiddaw, and down. Through Keswick to Grange and then Whinlatter, back over Cold Fell and home to Ravenglass.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    And living in the lakes makes your toast soggy.

That last picture looks amazing, its like one of those grandiose* views that take your breath away abroad- theyre either clouds or some one has set fire to the mint cake shop :lol:

*apologies - i've just read a dictionary - but apparently the film is better
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Envious. Although living in County Durham the countryside is only a few miles ride away, I do wish I had more long hills to tackle.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    denniskwok wrote:
    I do wish I had more long hills to tackle.

I wish I had more long tackle. :(
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    edited May 2013
    And living in the lakes makes your toast soggy.

That last picture looks amazing, its like one of those grandiose* views that take your breath away abroad- theyre either clouds or some one has set fire to the mint cake shop :lol:

*apologies - i've just read a dictionary - but apparently the film is better

You are quite right,this view is stunning and it was Wainwrights favourate view of his beloved lakedistrict.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    stunning pictures,and it,s not raining.bonus
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Awesome pictures, I am envious!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Cheshire Cat
    ...and just to save other folk the trouble of finding out, there is no cafe at the top of Skiddaw, was most disappointed :wink:
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • ...and just to save other folk the trouble of finding out, there is no cafe at the top of Skiddaw, was most disappointed :wink:

It would only attract morons in cars :wink:

Fantastic pics.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mr_joe0606
    mr_joe0606 Posts: 104
    that looks amazing every time i go to the lakes its raining cant wait to go in the sun.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Great photos, Cheshire Cat!

The Borders is like a "Lakes-Lite" in terrain and scenery but is wonderfully deserted all year round - hardy any traffic even in midsummer. And having ridden the Fred the other weekend our council is way more generous when it comes to maintenance of our backroads.

I couldn't hack that sort of traffic (or any come to think of it. . .), and all the caravans/motorhomes. . . .

I love the brutality of the hills over your way though, we have plenty of 100ft per mile routes here, but none that provides the colossal amounts of pain that yours do!
  • Cheshire Cat
    edited May 2013
    I couldn't hack that sort of traffic (or any come to think of it. . .), and all the caravans/motorhomes. . . .

Funny thing is, you see as many bikes on top of said cars and motor-homes, if everyone of them was being ridden the roads would be in a much better condition and folk would get along much better...it is funny watching irate motorists get angry with each other though.

And I agree with you regarding the condition of the road surfaces, you would have seen how badly cut up Hardknott is, as for the Borrowdale road out of Keswick, well, it needs to be sorted before the Tour of Britain comes through.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You can ride a road bike to the top of Skiddaw these days? Or did you have to walk it?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Looks bloody fantastic!

Adds to bucket list.
  • Cheshire Cat
    dodgy wrote:
    You can ride a road bike to the top of Skiddaw these days? Or did you have to walk it?

I used my cross bike, hoofed it for about two thirds of the way up, I looked at it as starting the 3 Peaks training early (providing I get an entry).
  • Great place to live though - I live in Kendal and have the same bike as you too!

Did you get it in The Lakes @ Askews by any chance?
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    denniskwok wrote:

It's all about girth, not length apparently.
  • Cheshire Cat
    Did you get it in The Lakes @ Askews by any chance?

Nick - I didn't, got it from a shop in Cleator, asked them to leave it in the box as I preferred to build and check it over myself. Excellent bikes, owned it for a little over two years now, would certainly recommend them...just wondering if Giant are going to release a disc brake version of the frame this year.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Looks bloody fantastic!

Adds to bucket list.

^^ This. Superb pics :D
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    When i lived in the UK i used to go regularly up and round the lakes, brilliant, Like you say as soon as the weathers half decent the world and his wife are up there. Mind you i cant blame them scenery , hills and a cafe stop what more could you ask for in a days cycling.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    denniskwok wrote:

Quality. :D PMSL :lol:
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Was evil yesterday in the wind and rain. Not quite the same as your pictures ;-)
  • Did you get it in The Lakes @ Askews by any chance?

Nick - I didn't, got it from a shop in Cleator, asked them to leave it in the box as I preferred to build and check it over myself. Excellent bikes, owned it for a little over two years now, would certainly recommend them...just wondering if Giant are going to release a disc brake version of the frame this year.

Hope not - might entail a lot more expense........................!!!!!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    denniskwok wrote:
    Envious. Although living in County Durham the countryside is only a few miles ride away

It does :D

Do some repeats on Peth Bank ;)