BMC TMR01 Review

bcss
bcss Posts: 174
edited May 2013 in Road general
6fbd6a2ec60811e2893b22000aa8100d_7.jpg

Had a chance to get a proper ride on a BMC TMR01 so thought I ll share my experience.

First off the usual disclaimer, I don’t work and don’t have affiliation with BMC or any supplier/ affiliate. I am also not a journalist or in any way involved in the bicycle industry. I got the bike at the official test day, since April this year BMC offers twice a month its entire range for a day long test ride against a small charge (c. GBP30).

I have not ridden a large number of bikes, so my comparisons will be limited to Cannondale SuperSix (my own bike), Serotta MeiVici SG and Cipollini RB1000.

The Ride

I rode 130km with c. 3500m climbing, in all kind of conditions and terrains ranging from steep climbs, rolling hills, technical descents on narrow roads, gravel road, long nice descents, head wind, rain, freezing temperatures etc

Design

You probably will either like it or not. It certainly stands out and it is nice that a large bike company has the courage to put out some unusual design. I certainly like it as it looks extremely sporty and fast as well as ‘engineered’.

Riding Position

On the handle bars it is not extreme at all, it is pretty much the same as with all the other bikes I rode bar the cipo, which has a more extreme riding position. I didn’t feel any discomfort at any point in time neither climbing in the saddle or out of the saddle or on descents . In the drops, you get quite low and it is certainly a more extreme position, though probably also a matter of choice of handle bars.

Power Transfer/ Stiffness

This is certainly one of the major strengths of the bike. It is very stiff and the power transfer is very efficient, I certainly could feel the difference to the SuperSix particularly on steep climbs and out of the saddle, when sprinting. It feels very similar to the Serotta on the climbs.

Handling

Front end is very stable and the bike nicely follows where you point it. Even at 50/60 km/h into a (wide) corner is not a problem and you could certainly push it faster. It gives you much more comfort than the SuperSix, which when you don’t perfect lean into the corner can get a bit unstable at higher speeds. Only the Cipo gives you even more comfort into high speed corners. However, while Cipo isn’t very agile for small and immediate direction changes (ie to circumvent an obstacle) the TMR01 is much more agile.

Comfort

The bike is relatively comfortable and doesn’t feel harsh, though to be frank the roads were very good, so the judgment on UK roads is still out.

Integrated Brakes

I was quite sceptical based on what I read from other bike models. However, BMC really managed to solve it well. The brakes are certainly better than my SRAM force, particularly in the wet, though not as strong and good to modulate as the Campi SuperRecord Brakes I had on the Serotta. I had no issues to slow on wet technical descents or on 20% downhill sections.

AERO

Very difficult to judge, though it seemed to me that there were some effects (maybe I also only imagining), the bike kept the speed better on the descents and on the flats it was easier to run at 35+km/h vs the Cannondale (both bikes had the same wheels) and the Serotta.

Weight

Haven’t put it on a scale, but didn’t feel super light ie compared to the Serotta, but then with Ultegra and Cosmics now bike ever will.

Conclusion/ Pricing

Think that BMC made a great bike with the TMR01. I think the really managed to combine Aero with excellent climbing capabilities/ stiffness. The design will not please everybody but I like it. When riding it you certainly felt that it was very well engineered, though what it was a bit lacking is the emotional ‘flash’ of the Cipo.

Think it really is great bike that allows you to use it ie in a Triathlon on day and in the French alps the next day. At GBP 3,200 for the frame and GBP 8,500 for the to end DI2 version, it is certainly not cheap, but it certainly can keep up with more expensive bikes such as the Cipo or the Serotta (both at 4.5k). While it doesn’t have the emotional flair as the other two, it certainly is more versatile and very unique in design (ie vs. the Serotta).

Hope this is of interest. Please feel free to add your views or ask questions. I certainly would be interested what bikes in that price range you think are ‘better’ and why.

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    I'm so close to buying this bike (di2 version), if i wasn't about to marry the lovely Mrs big p, I'd have been out on it today.

Anybody know where i can get one for less than £8500 at Evans ?
  • bcss
    big p wrote:
    I'm so close to buying this bike (di2 version), if i wasn't about to marry the lovely Mrs big p, I'd have been out on it today.

Anybody know where i can get one for less than £8500 at Evans ?

Easiest solution would be to marry her on the bike ;-)

I checked prices directly at the manufacturer after the test ride but comes actually more expensive (CHF12,999 about GBP8,900 at current exchange rates) also in the US they have exactly the same price, so for once it seems you get it cheaper in the UK...though kind of strange that only Evans seems to sell (found only one other bike shop)
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I know a bike shop in Germany that gives 10% discount on BMC bikes. I bought my team machine SLR01 there back in Jan 2012. Also, German bike shops had a significant price saving over Swiss shops back then. I don't know if it is the same now.

At the time of picking up my bike, a husband and wife had driven up from Italy to buy his and hers BMC road bikes!
  • bcss
    TO THE MODERATOR!

Why did you move this to 'Road General' from 'Road Buying Advice' ?? This post is meant to help people in their road bike buying decisions through an independent review...also as you can see the discussing clearly evolved about the topic of purchase!

Also at the end I posed a question what other bikes people would consider in that price range..SO CLEARLY A QUESTION ABOUT BUYING A BIKE!!

I suggest you move it back to where it belongs!!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Mod must have an affiliation with BMC, knowing that this section gets more views he/she moved it here!
  • When people want advise, they usually ask.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Maybe you weren't paid and didn't have an obligation to post that 'review'. But it certainly reads like you were.
  • bcss
    When people want advise, they usually ask.

I really love the attitude of people like you...in any case if you would have properly READ my post in FULL you would have seen that I ASKED for ADVICE!! ie whether people have other SUGGESTIONS in that price range, as I am starting to think about a new bike...
  • bcss
    Bondurant wrote:
    Maybe you weren't paid and didn't have an obligation to post that 'review'. But it certainly reads like you were.

Again READ before you COMMENT...I PAID THEM NOT THEM ME!!...

These are my PERSONAL impressions...if YOURS are different after you rode it, write about it...and then we can have a discussion

Ohhhh...and please let me know how to sign up to your 'how to write a review' course...so I can become the same kind of smart a** as you are...I am really not sure what the value add of your post is...to my mind it's just utterly useless..
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I love the bmc brand they do put a nice bike together. I have a time machine tt bike but have just decided to sell it as i always tske my road bike out and the poor thing just suts as an ornament. Great quality bikes and when my scott is up for a change i will be looking at the bmc. Looked at an impec here yesterday here in mallorca and its ace although over priced when you look at the competition
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    bcss wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:

Again READ before you COMMENT...I PAID THEM NOT THEM ME!!...

These are my PERSONAL impressions...if YOURS are different after you rode it, write about it...and then we can have a discussion

Ohhhh...and please let me know how to sign up to your 'how to write a review' course...so I can become the same kind of smart a** as you are...I am really not sure what the value add of your post is...to my mind it's just utterly useless..

You can have lesson 1 for free. Don't write in capitals so much. It makes you look vaguely insane.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    For those interested I bought a frame set, and am building it this week. I'm looking forward to getting it out on the road, and will post pics and a review of sorts when I get it. Base spec is ultegra and 3t finishing and my handbuilt wheels. It should weigh around 7.1kg when I attach my suitcase to the back!!!!
  • robbo2011
    I love the bmc brand they do put a nice bike together. I have a time machine tt bike but have just decided to sell it as i always tske my road bike out and the poor thing just suts as an ornament. Great quality bikes and when my scott is up for a change i will be looking at the bmc. Looked at an impec here yesterday here in mallorca and its ace although over priced when you look at the competition

Jeff, the SLR01 replacement will be out very soon, might be worth looking at that too as I imagine it will be very good and cheaper than the Impec.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    This will be the thing cadel rode in the giro.... The slr01 is a great bike, it's replacement, well only cuddles knows!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    The problem with buying a Swiss bike at the moment is that the Swiss franc is super strong, one of the very strongest in the world, so you're paying a premium that in 'normal' times would not be there......
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Thanks for the review. I tentatively thought about the TMR01 when I built my last bike up as I wanted something that would potentially double as a TT bike. Decided against going any further when I saw the price and as it's so new there's no secondhand / last year's models around.

I think Bernie's right about the Swiss Franc though - £3k+ for the frameset (with very few deals to be done) puts it in competition with some real heavyweights which I'm not sure BMC are quite ready to face yet.
  • robbo2011
    Anyway, I don't want any of you lot buying BMC bikes, I'd rather they stay more exclusive :)

(BMCs are very common around these parts)