Recovered my stolen road bike!!But what to do now?

hugehero
hugehero Posts: 281
edited May 2013 in Road general
My trek 1200 got stolen on friday night and I managed to track down the thieves and get my bike back saturday evening lol :D . That is a brief synopsis of what happened.

But to any members from the Birmingham area; be extremely careful when locking up you bike anywhere in the city centre. I use a very good D lock so the werent able to remove the bike without damaging the frame. :(

I will post the full details later but I was wondering if I should push further and have the police arrest the thieves? They were quite young 15-16 ish so a criminal record may ruin/hinder their future prospects, hence why I am being a bit indecisive. :(
What do you guys think I should do?

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    If they're stealing bikes at that age, they're going to be like it forever. Maybe you can get them a fine without a criminal record or something?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Report it. Not your responsibility if it screws up there future, they can do that all on there own. It might even stop them in their tracks. If there not career criminals then they will just get a slap on the wrist.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Future? If they're nicking bikes by that age they don't have one anyway...
  • Report it and Cops will process the form, CPS make the decision to prosecute and they may already have form. Alternatively just let it go and move on knowing they'll keep nicking bikes and anything else that presents itself.

Your call...
  • Chamac
    Chamac Posts: 10
    Being able to defeat a good quality D lock suggests they are already fairly accomplshed bike thieves, plus they have damaged your bike report to the police asap I'd say.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    If you don't report it how are you going to claim for the damaged frame or feel when they start mugging old ladies for the money to feed their dug addictions.

If they are stealing bikes now then they will only get worse as they get older. Report it now and stop being a martyr.
  • hugehero
    Chamac wrote:
    Being able to defeat a good quality D lock suggests they are already fairly accomplshed bike thieves, plus they have damaged your bike report to the police asap I'd say.

Very true. I have spoken to the police. They will be down to see me tomorrow so that I can show them the thieves location, gumtree advert etc. Though I would prefer them no to get into too much trouble, I also hate the thought of them doing the same to someone else.

They were clearly experienced thieves since one guy scouted the area first before telling the other guy to bring the bike out. :x
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    assuming you werent a little heavy handed in retrieving your bike dob em in. else they will just do it again. they arent gonna think oh that was close lets concentrate on our schoolwork from now on.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    hugehero wrote:
    Though I would prefer them no to get into too much trouble.......
    hugehero wrote:
    They were clearly experienced thieves since one guy scouted the area first before telling the other guy to bring the bike out. :x

I'm guessing there is some sort of logic that doesn't make these two sentences entirely contradictory but if there is, I can't see it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Today your bike, Tomorrow someones car.

IF they are doing it now, they will not change. Best try and stop it happening to someone else who isn't so lucky to recover it. Think you owe it to the rest of your local community to make sure thieves are punished.
  • hugehero
    Rolf F wrote:
    hugehero wrote:
    Though I would prefer them no to get into too much trouble.......
    hugehero wrote:

I'm guessing there is some sort of logic that doesn't make these two sentences entirely contradictory but if there is, I can't see it.

Hehe, I know. I just feel bad about doing this kind of thing but I guess it has to be done. I have compiled all the information I have on them, which will be passed on to the police. I managed to stay calm when I met them, I just told them it was bike, showed them the evidence and that I was taking it back. :D . The one lad wanted me to pay him because he says he bought it off another chap(Lies). The cheek! I told him his issue was with the other guy so I was taking my bike back. :roll:
  • smithy05
    smithy05 Posts: 114
    What are the details of it being stolen, where from etc? I live in Birmingham so am interested and will be taking extra caution!
  • hugehero
    smithy05 wrote:
    What are the details of it being stolen, where from etc? I live in Birmingham so am interested and will be taking extra caution!

It was stolen from the bike racks near the old central library, by New street station along the adjacent road.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Call the police. There may be some other 15yr old who comes from a crap family and lives a crap life yet uses his/her bike to go to school, hold a job and tries to make something of him/herself but then gets their bike stolen by one of the same thieves that took yours. Doesn't make sense to me to try to protect them.
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    You might have tainted the evidence somewhat by doing your own investigation/recovery...however still worth reporting and let the police sort it out...bike thieves are scumbags....do the right thing and REPORT, let the police sort out what they can do....
  • The_Yeti_
    The_Yeti_ Posts: 22
    hugehero wrote:
    I will post the full details later but I was wondering if I should push further and have the police arrest the thieves? They were quite young 15-16 ish so a criminal record may ruin/hinder their future prospects, hence why I am being a bit indecisive. :(
    What do you guys think I should do?

I am glad you managed to get your bike back 8)

You are being incredibly kind considering they stole your bike but I agree with most of the others and would say they should face the consequences of their actions.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    The recovery was nothing like this then?

That's my bike punk!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Yeah report it - nothing might be done - but you never know.

a lad over the road from me 'stole' a bike from outside a shop - he didnt actuall steal it, his mates egged him on to have a ride of it - he was shocked to find the police turn up and take him home to talk to his parents - consequence was his parents stopped him seeing his mates after school.

You may not be spoling the lads chances in life, you may be teaching him a valuable lesson. Follow your heart and act out of the best intentions
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    I don't understand why you're even debating what the right thing to do is, report the little scrotes. They chose to steal, tough tittie what happens to them now.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    I stole something when I was a kid and got caught. The best thing that ever happened to me .......... especially doing the public apology and the pay back.

Report them and let the law handle. If they are trouble, then they will be on the laws radar.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    why feel sorry just because of there age.They are toe rags and need to learn that crime is wrong.Do you really think they give a toss about you and your compassion?
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • You should probably report them although the worst that will happen to them is that they will be told to stand in the corner and think about what they've done. Shame you couldn't just give them a clip round the ear.