Annoying noise from bars or headset?? FIXED! Woop woop

ct8282
ct8282 Posts: 414
edited May 2013 in Road general
I've had my bike 4 weeks now, its a Giant TCR Advanced and so far loving it. On my last ride I noticed an irritating high pitched clicking sound coming somewhere from the front of the bike. This morning I took her out for a 30 miler and as the ride progressed the clicking got more and more consistent. Its VERY annoying indeed and really doing my head in when I want to hear that satisfying noise of the road passing beneath me but all I can hear is this damn clicking.

I can't quite pin point its location but I'd say its coming from the bars or headset. I really need to get this sorted as its driving me mad. Any thoughts or suggestions on what it might be or what I could do to fix it would be most greatly appreciated.

Comments

• gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    i got exactly the same problem and its doin my nut in as well...gonna keep an eye on this thread for sure.

I've taken my head set off and tightened everything and checked everything and still it clicks and knocks.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    Could be many many things and not always where you think, try here for some suggestions http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12581556
  • ct8282
    Its a huge thread!! Just read this.....

i had a clicking noise which was coming from my carbon seatpost in my carbon frame-i greased it and now it`s fine. the main problem was i could have sworn the noise was coming from anywhere but the seatpost. at one stage i thought it was definitely the clamp on the stem holding the bars !
    kerz

Looks like I need to check over the whole bike. I swear the noise is coming from upfront, but who knows! ANNOYING
  • ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Suggestion of what mine was the other day...

Piece of tape stuck to the tyre was clipping the underside of the front calliper every time it went around :oops:

And yes, I did discover that after I regreased the BB and both front and rear hubs :evil:
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    If you have only had it 4 weeks let the people you bought it from sort it out....or was it bought off the Internet?

Some rules of thumb, if it happens every revolution of the pedals it is probably drive related and likely loose pedals, the cranks need tightening or BB bearings shot (but probably not after four weeks)

If it happens regularly but not every revolution of the pedals it is likely wheel or chain related. Check loose chain link, loose spoke or slightly buckled wheel rubbing.

If it is random then it is a bit more difficult but could be related to putting stress on handlebars e.g. when climbing out of the saddle or a loose nut somewhere.

Finally check that the saddle clamp is tight, that can sometimes creak and if necessary slap some grease on the rails.

You can check headset by putting on the brakes and trying to rock the bike to and fro, if thee is any play it will either be headset or possibly slightly loose brakes.

Good luck
  • ct8282
    edited May 2013
    That's very helpful, thank you. I will check those things.

As far as the noise goes it is definitely random, not on every revolution of the cranks or wheels, but does seem to occur when I hit bumps or uneven road surfaces. It certainly seems to be less frequent on a very smooth surface but does still happen, just no where near as much.

I can't see any link to it happening if I'm standing or seated, putting power down or not. It's just there all the time and definitely getting worse. It's driving me mad but more importantly I'm worried it may be a safety issue if something suddenly fails. The bike feels solid and the bars and steering feel tight and precise!

I don't know if that helps at all?
  • ed_j
    ct8282 wrote:
    That's very helpful, thank you. I will check those things.

As far as the noise goes it is definitely random, not on every revolution of the cranks or wheels, but does seem to occur when I hit bumps or uneven road surfaces. It certainly seems to be less frequent on a very smooth surface but does still happen, just no where near as much.

I can't see any link to it happening if I'm standing or seated, putting power down or not. It's just there all the time and definitely getting worse. It's driving me mad but more importantly I'm worried it may be a safer issue if something suddenly fails. The bike feels solid and the bars and steering feel tight and precise!

I don't know if that helps at all?

Try regreasing the stem bolts.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Have you been riding in the wet, or washed it recently? I had a clicking noise on an old bike and I found it was rust on he bearings in the headset. It was a simple fix and all was sorted after a clean and regrease. Just another possibility.
  • ct8282
    Have you been riding in the wet, or washed it recently? I had a clicking noise on an old bike and I found it was rust on he bearings in the headset. It was a simple fix and all was sorted after a clean and regrease. Just another possibility.

Bike is 4 weeks old so basically brand new. It's never seen water so definitely not rust.

Will try regreasing the stem bolts as suggested, when I learn how to remove the stem properly :-).
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Simplest one is the skewers. Release, grease the threads and if an external cam design then apply some grease where the lever meets the domed bit which it tightens onto. Then do it up nice and tight (but not too tight!)
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    If you're using SPD or SPD-SL shoes then it could also be your cleats causing the noise ... I've that before. I quick spray of the pedal / cleat interfaces with GT85 and all was quiet again.
  • ct8282
    edten wrote:
    Simplest one is the skewers. Release, grease the threads and if an external cam design then apply some grease where the lever meets the domed bit which it tightens onto. Then do it up nice and tight (but not too tight!)

Forgive my ignorance but would you please explain. I don't know what you mean by skewers, external cam design, domed bit.....?
  • ed_j
    The quick release levers on the wheels.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    The annoying noise on my front end turned out to be the speedo rattling in it's mount.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • ct8282
    I stumbled across this very very useful web page....

http://www.chainreaction.com/noises.htm

I'm now working on process of elimination. I checked my shoes and they have 2 loose metal fixings designed for regular spd cleats which slide around inside the shoe. If I shake my shoes they make a high pitched rattling noise so I have stuffed some paper inside with the moving screw fixings and now they cannot move at all.

Spd sl cleats reattached so I'll see if that helps. It certainly doesn't sound like the same noise but who knows. Will update the thread as I try different things.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Probably is headset related.
    However, as you admit you don't know how to tighten your stem, I suggest you take it back to the shop otherwise if you start dismantling you will probably screw things up even more.
  • ct8282
    Can't take it back to the shop as it was an Internet order.

Will prob need to take Tito my lbs to see if they can help. I'm not a stupid guy though. I can follow the assembly instructions and with the help of youtube I'm sure I can figure out how to disassemble the handle bars and stem and check things over.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ct8282 wrote:
    Can't take it back to the shop as it was an Internet order.

Will prob need to take Tito my lbs to see if they can help. I'm not a stupid guy though. I can follow the assembly instructions and with the help of youtube I'm sure I can figure out how to disassemble the handle bars and stem and check things over.

I like your confidence... personally I am not fond of headset maintenance.
  • ct8282
    Update: spoke to a mate who told me to hold front break and rock the bike. Sure enough the noise is there.

I've tracked it to the front brake assembly for sure. The clicking is coming from the hole at the back of the fork where the front brake bolt goes through. This would make sense as I had to fit the brake when I got the bike and I do not have a torque wrench, yet, so was worried about over tightening. My guess is this needs to be correctly tightened.

Fingers crossed.
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    I had the same problem... took one of my spacers out of the headset and hey presto!
  • ct8282
    Removed front brake, re-greased and refitted at correct torque.

The clicking noise remains when I hold the front brake lever and rock the bike. Up close it sounds like a sticky clicking noise coming from the head tube. Ant further suggestions?
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Undo the two bolts clamping the stem on the steerer tube, then try adjusting the top bolt to see if adding some more preload to the bearings stops the noise.

Will only need a very small adjustment and better to run it slightly loose, than too tight which affects steering as well as increasing wear.

Do up the pinch bolts according to their torque settings and make sure everything is straight (i.e. bars at 90 degrees to wheel).
  • ct8282
    IanLD wrote:
    Undo the two bolts clamping the stem on the steerer tube, then try adjusting the top bolt to see if adding some more preload to the bearings stops the noise.

Will only need a very small adjustment and better to run it slightly loose, than too tight which affects steering as well as increasing wear.

Do up the pinch bolts according to their torque settings and make sure everything is straight (i.e. bars at 90 degrees to wheel).

I called the bike shop where I bought it from and he told me to do exactly what you've just explained. Just done it and the noise has gone. Hallelujah!!

He basically said to loosen the stem bolts and try a half turn on the top bolt and it worked. This makes me very happy indeed.

Thanks for all your help and advice peeps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glad its sorted.
    I know how you feel as mine had just been doing the same.
    I hate my bike making odd noises lol.
  • ct8282
    Carbonator wrote:
    Glad its sorted.
    I know how you feel as mine had just been doing the same.
    I hate my bike making odd noises lol.

Just took the bike out for half hour and the noise has ceased. I can't tell you how much it was doing my nut in so I'm chuffed its sorted.