Fox fork ctd evo damping control

taffygriffiths
taffygriffiths Posts: 186
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

I have a fox 32 120mm ctd evo fork on my week old ghost Amr.

Today... I noticed that the rebound damping is non existent. Set to max, the fork springs back at full rate.

Also, the ctd makes no difference. It's all as if its on "decend"

How likely is this to be a lack of oil? I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow, but I'm hoping its a simple fix for them, as I'm supposed to be out for a ride in the afternoon :(

From my figuring, the open oil bath controls the damping system where as the air controls the firmness on the shock?

I hung the bike up by the front wheel for the first time on Wednesday. Will this have affected it?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Doesn't sound simple, sounds like a faulty damper. Let the shop sort it.
  • Urgh. That sounds nasty. And like I would be without a bike for a while. Lol. :roll:

Typical!
  • big2000dave
    big2000dave Posts: 60
    It's a common issue with Fox CTD forks. Fox are bringing out a new damper soon which will fix the problem. I've got the same issue on my 34 CTD Float 29er.
    Orange 5 SE
    Santa Cruz Nomad
    Orange 5 Diva
    Boardman Team Carbon
    Bianchi She
  • Went to the bike shop who tried a bit of oil... No luck.

Busted damper it is then boyos!

Feck!
  • JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    As already stated its a common failure on the fox open bath non adjust CTD damper, some have said that the fault lies with he lack of depth in a circlip groove at the bottom of the damper assembly, there have also been instances of people getting an upgraded damper i.e. the trail adjust one on return. I've just done something similar to a RP3/CTD rear shock - no discernible difference in compression damping across the three platforms, currently with MOJO on a warranty return. Perhaps CTYD is not all it is cracked up to be - we will see.
  • I've been reading up on it, and have cometo the same conclusion. Great!

I'm dropping it back to the LBS today, so it should be back from mojo by the end of the week hopefully! Kinda makes me glad I bought it from a Local shop.

They did say tho, that sometimes mojo will set up the fork correctly for rider weight. As I'm 17 stone lol.

Hopefully they fit the better damper! But I would be happy with one that just works for more than a week :-p
  • sheepshifter
    sheepshifter Posts: 115
    Only ridden my float32 ctd for a week the cartridge packed up no diff in settings. Quick turn around from mojo, now 4 months in no dampening forks bouncing back like pogo sticks. Do I want these forks if they have a issue with them are they fit for purpose ?
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    If you're running full-suss and CTD on the rear - keep an eye out for oil weeping from the rear shock. The CTDs are renowned for it. To be fair to Mojo, they do seem to be able to sort them pretty quickly. Just annoying it happens.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • uh oh!... i saw a bit of oil on the rear shock shaft on the weekend too.. i didnt think much of it, and wiped it away..

ill have to keep an eye on that too! :shock: great!

i thought fox stuff was meant to be good? lol.. or is it just because its essentially bottom of the range fox stuff? lol 'budget' fox forks... that retail at £500 :P
  • picked my bike back up today.

all fixed by mojo.

they did just fit a new original spec damper tho. we will see how long this lasts! lol..

i have noticed mind... that there is 2 little centre punch marks in the top of the damper by the big hex used to undo it.

so i dunno if they are counting how many dampers are going in the fork?
  • JohnBurt
    Well my shock has come back with new internals and revalved for me! All FOC
  • JohnBurt
    Ansd as above the shock is now great, but the fork is now FUBAR - no compression damping - Ahhhhh! I guess I'm now working the front harder as the back is sorted.
  • well my shock seems to be collecting more oil on the shaft, and around the sag o-ring, than it ever has...

performance seems to be normal at the moment though... but i foresee a trip to mojo for it in the future lol
  • JohnBurt
    MM fork is back from Mojo, not much has changed same seals etc. no description of work done and two centre pops on the damper top cap same as taffy, there is also a click on the very start of the compression stroke - as if the shim stack is sticky. Be ringing them up on Monday to ask! Just been out on it and the CTD settings have changed completely much more supportive through the stroke now - better, they also changed the whole rebound shaft assembly and there appears to be more fine control of rebound than before. Not worried about the click but will still ask. Happy Camper
  • JohnBurt
    OK final post on this, spoke with Mojo toady, two centre pops denotes a modified damper with more damping in all three modes. Wouldn't say but maybe it's a 2014 internals. Still very happy bike now balanced front and back and suspension much improved, I recon I'm running 25psi less in the front than before now that it doesn't dive through the travel.
  • ahh.. so it does mean something! lol

after a mooch in the bike shop where i bought it, we discovered a coupl of brand new bikes with 2 centre pops on the fork, so wernt sure what they were lol.

fork is fine for me so far! damping is still as it came back from mojo. iirc, there is a slight audible click when the fork moves, but i have been told that its just the damper shims working? who knows! still got 11 months warranty, so if it breaks again they can have it back

as for the shock.. i seem to be getting more and more oil on the shaft. the the point where it sometimes runs off and down the frame. yet... the damping is still functional on it. so im essentially waiting for that to give in now! all fun and games! :roll: