helmet choice

goldenbolux
goldenbolux Posts: 48
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I am fairly new to this road biking stuff and as such have just been using one of my two generic mountain bike helmet
I have noticed that when I go out, I usually do between 20 to 30 miles at a time that I seem to always be fighting the wind on my journey out and on my journey home
I think this mat not be as bad as I thought but maybe just exaggerated by the noise of an incorrect style or type of helmet
Any advice would be grateful

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    i wear same helmet mtb or road. to find one that fits and is comfortable is more important than anything else.

what you consider excess noise may not be to someone else and to test several helmets means buying them first.

fit and comfort are priorities.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You will always be fighting the wind on your own. You can use up to 40% of your energy just cutting through the air, this is why a peloton can catch a lone rider quickly. Many riders taking turns in the wind to help preserve energy. Part of that means you will always have the wind noise in your ears. My Giro helmet is very noisy at times compared to my old Bell one. Some of the venting has a habit of making the noise worse than if you were wearing a solid helmet.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    As you can see from this article, it's a problem for enough people that several companies have tried to create products to overcome it, but it's not related to MTB style helmets:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-35984/
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I have

dhb-skull-cap-white.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

under this

KSK-K50R-WHITE.jpg

To keep the wind and cold out, works really well. Temps over about 12c will prolly be too warm though.

The kask k50 is a nice looking helmet, prevents 'mushroom head' syndrome.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    meursault wrote:
    I have

dhb-skull-cap-white.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7

under this

KSK-K50R-WHITE.jpg

To keep the wind and cold out, works really well. Temps over about 12c will prolly be too warm though.

The kask k50 is a nice looking helmet, prevents 'mushroom head' syndrome.

+ 1 on this. Make sure the helmet has enough room to put on a head warmer should it be cold enough.