Stage 19 Cancelled

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2013 in Pro race
Too much snow
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Great news for Cavendish then :wink:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Shame, but no great surprise when you see the photos on twitter.

What are the chances of tomorrows stage going ahead? Might be better to head straight for Brescia and put the race out of its misery.

Also, can anyone remember the last time a GT stage was cancelled completely (not just shortened)?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Yes, a shame but the photos didn't look good. At least I might get some work done this afternoon now.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Shame.

But the Giro does have the air of the bigger team winning an FA cup tie 6-0 and everyone waiting for the referee to stop the pain.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I was wondering about S20.

On another matter, could this be turned into a spoiler thread please. I wouldn't want folks to miss out on this dramatic revalation being delivered in a timely fashion when they sit in down in front of the highlights programme tonight :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Di Luca has tested positive it seems
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:

Just read that, not official yet though it would seem.

If this race was a horse they would put a bolt through its head.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Colour me surprised.

That'll be the end of him then. Good f*****g riddance.
  • andyp
    I wonder how Luca Scinto feels this morning. He didn't want Di Luca but was over-ruled by his sponsors.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    iainf72 wrote:

Just read that, not official yet though it would seem.

If this race was a horse they would put a bolt through its head.

Ah poor horse, the horse wouldn't have knowingly taken the PEDs, better to give it to Rebekah Brooks. :wink:

Actually that seems like a fitting punishment for Di Luca.

Gesink has chucked in the towel due to illness apparently.

This Giro has been, I'm struggling for the correct adjective...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Feel a bit sorry for Nibali in a funny way - he has been so dominant that he deserved a better race to win
  • inkyfingers
    Crozza wrote:
    Feel a bit sorry for Nibali in a funny way - he has been so dominant that he deserved a better race to win

I was thinking this, he's clearly been the best rider here, but he still has to prove that he can win a GT against a really strong field. Hopefully he'll have a crack at the Tour de France next year.
  • above_the_cows
    Crozza wrote:

Indeed. I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning, its almost like he has won it by default (I know he hasn't actually won yet...). Of course that isn't the case, he has ridden very well and there's more to a GT win but if that thought crossed my mind it will surely have crossed others.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    Shame they couldn't come up an alternative stage that skipped the high mountains. Anything would be better than nothing.
  • above_the_cows
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Shame they couldn't come up an alternative stage that skipped the high mountains. Anything would be better than nothing.

Although at least now I won't have to sit in the staff team building meeting that I have to go to now stewing that I'm missing this stage. Every cloud and all that :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    TheBigBean wrote:

I agree... there are lots of climbs under 1000 mt altitude which can be done all year round... the plan B was not a real plan B... still included climbs at around 2000 mt. Very unlikely they will climb to 3 cime di Lavaredo tomorrow as well... best case scenario they will get up to the Misurina Lake.
    I hope for the future they calm down with the Dolomites obsession and take up a few other climbs in the Appennines, much warmer weather and can provide great racing
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyp
    Can you imagine the reaction from the media and fans if the Giro didn't include any high mountains, in the Dolomites or other parts of the Alps?

Look at how last year's Tour route was received for an example.

Acquarone's best bet is to work with the UCI and get the Giro moved back towards the end of May, early June like it used to be.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I can only recommend everyone buying a hummer and chinese products.
  • inkyfingers
    Even moving the race a few weeks later in the year you could still get bad weather in the high mountains. This year has see quite unusually cold weather all across Europe, question is weather this year is bad luck, or a sign of our weather patterns changing.

I've said before that often we get better racing on the medium/classics type stages, but appreciate that the organisers need to go into the high mountains to maintain the "epic" nature of the race and to pay homage to the past. Very tough call for the organisers.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Can't speak for anyone else but I enjoy the stages where the terrain makes for hard acing but rewards skill and ambition - too often the high mountains boil down to a battle of who has the best power to weight on the final climb. So from my point of view i'd rather a couple of smaller climbs and technical descents in the last 40k than a climb up the Alpe or similar.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    So, ignoring TVs, Cadel, Nibs etc would have to finish higher on Saturday than Cav on Sunday, or take points both days?
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    My GT fix has not been sated

I am slightly worried as to what state of anticipation I will be in come the TdF
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    So, ignoring TVs, Cadel, Nibs etc would have to finish higher on Saturday than Cav on Sunday, or take points both days?
    More or less.
    Tomorrow Evans has to finish at least 9th or Nibali 5th to take it the lead prior to Sunday.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    More or less.
    Tomorrow Evans has to finish at least 9th or Nibali 5th to take it the lead prior to Sunday.

And Nibali will be drinking champagne not chasing points on Sunday. The jury is out whether Cadel would try and sneak a couple of points on Sunday, but I think if Cav avoids crashing it is his now.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Anticlimatic? :wink:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Do the intermediate sprints have time bounuses as well as points on offer? Because if they do Evans may be obliged to chase them if Uran does.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    Do the intermediate sprints have time bounuses as well as points on offer? Because if they do Evans may be obliged to chase them if Uran does.

I can hardly contain my excitement.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    andyp wrote:
    Can you imagine the reaction from the media and fans if the Giro didn't include any high mountains, in the Dolomites or other parts of the Alps?

Look at how last year's Tour route was received for an example.

Acquarone's best bet is to work with the UCI and get the Giro moved back towards the end of May, early June like it used to be.

I am not saying not to include them... but certainly not to make them the only feature, with 4-5 stages going up high passes.
    The Tour normally does two high passes and that's July, where the chances of snow are very slim.
    I think they should do 2 mountain stages in the appennines, 2 in the alps and a few of those undulated stages with lesser climbs.
    There are terrible climbs under 2000 metres, Zoncolan and Mortirolo being the two obvious examples
    left the forum March 2023