fitting new forks with reducer

philipkingsnorth
philipkingsnorth Posts: 17
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i have some new forks and would like to fit myself i am reasonable with a set of spanners and like to try to fix or change what i can. i need to put a tapered reducer lower cup and then change the forks is this a job for the bike shop or is it worth me giving it a go ? i realize saying i am OK with spanners is not a measure of my mechanical ability just is it going to be quite straight forward or are there potential pitfalls. thanks :?:
instructions are for when you cant figure it out yourself

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It is simple with the correct tools.
  • are we talking expensive tools ?
    instructions are for when you cant figure it out yourself
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, considering you can do it with a screw driver, hammer and a bit of pipe.
  • francis666
    francis666 Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    Removed last info as I think I got the question wrong! :(
    Chinese All Carbon Hybrid, mixed with overdraft and research.
    Hong Kong Phoey - Quicker than the human eye!

Not enough: bikes, garage space or time.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    i thought you wanted to fit a tapered fork ?
    hello again i have had a reply from specialized.
    RE regarding size info To fit a tapered fork you just need the crown race that is supplied with the headset.
    The bearing size to fit the lower cup on our frames is 52mmx7mmx45 degrees.
    well there is my answer i am a little more confused as to what it is exactly i need i thought i just needed this bottom cup but he mentions the headset again
    you really need to do what "sonic" said in your other thread
    supersonic wrote:
    Best thing to do would be to remove you fork and photo the crown race on it, and the bottom of the headtube and bearings, then post them here.
    maybe then we can see how they have done it and you can get the answers you need, having multiple threads in different sections, isn't helping alot
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011