Left standing and completely embarrassed

Vandiesel
Vandiesel Posts: 506
edited May 2013 in Road general
Lovely morning in Kent today so rude not to pop out for a couple of hours and 35 miles clocked.
Now, I'm very new to road biking and considered myself a young fit 51 yr old!
But,today in between Wye Crown, and the drop down into Braybourne Kent I was passed by two groups of 5-6 riders who just blasted past me like I was stood still! i didnt even get a chance to say "Mornin" I was so shocked at the pace they were going at and feel a tad embarrassed! Just said to myself "dont worry Andy, you've done 30 odd miles" Nah, not made me feel any better at!
Fair play to fittness chaps, Itilt my hat..
Giant TCR Composite 3

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    If you were riding alone what else would you expect from a group ? Of course they're going to breeze past you.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    why let it bother you? 8) Its not a race, I've been overtaken by people a lot younger and a lot older than me. Either way, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Don't worry about it, whatever your age or experience there's always someone quicker.
  • What were they wearing?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Vandiesel
    What were they wearing?
    orange jerseys

Thanks chaps, sort of expected the replies tbh!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    New Riders underestimate the difference riding in a group makes. You literally get dragged along. It's why breakaways nearly always get caught by the peloton and spat out the back completely knackered while the peloton carries on like it's a Sunday club run..
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Go try out a local club ride...
  • Vandiesel
    I think I'll work on my fitness for the summer before joining a club!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Go at your own pace and set your own goals and enjoy cycling. Thats the main thing. There will always be someone faster.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Couple of weeks back I was passed big style by a guy in jeans, anorak, large backpack and trainers on a steep mile long climb. He hosed past me, however, he'd probably just come from his work at the industrial estate at bottom of hill, and I had just done 30 very steep miles with three decent climbs, I wasn't too fussed.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I,ve been cycling for 35 years and feel that in general i can hold my own. I cycle every weekday 10 miles to work and back at an average of 32Km/h. In the last few months i,ve been overtaken by a guy that rides between 50-60Km/h on the way to work. It,s 06.00 in the morning and he is flying. Have no idea who he is but his speed is incredible. I,ve only once tried to catch him and i managed to reach 53Km/h and he was still pulling away. His bike is black but i cant make out the make or model. Would love to know who he is.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    RandG wrote:
    Couple of weeks back I was passed big style by a guy in jeans, anorak, large backpack and trainers on a steep mile long climb. He hosed past me, however, he'd probably just come from his work at the industrial estate at bottom of hill, and I had just done 30 very steep miles with three decent climbs, I wasn't too fussed.

In hindsight I'm sure you aren't. But admit it, it narked you a bit didn't it?! It took some considerable rationalisation to convince yourself not to worry about it didn't it? :wink:
  • djhermer wrote:
    RandG wrote:

In hindsight I'm sure you aren't. But admit it, it narked you a bit didn't it?! It took some considerable rationalisation to convince yourself not to worry about it didn't it? :wink:

Too much denial :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    What were they wearing?

Never mind what they were wearing, did they have any nice decals on their bikes?
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    Vandiesel wrote:
    I think I'll work on my fitness for the summer before joining a club!

Most clubs cater for all levels, don't be intimidated. Look at Catford Wheelers for example. I am in Dulwich Paragon have guys in their sixties who ride out.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ademort wrote:
    ... his speed is incredible...His bike is black

There you go, proof positive that black bikes are faster. All this nonsense about riding your bike to get fitter/faster finally proved to be a myth. Unfortunately, I don't have a black bike, oh, hang on :idea:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    ademort wrote:

da na na na na na na na .......da na na na na na na na Batman.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    ademort wrote:

There you go, proof positive that black bikes are faster. All this nonsense about riding your bike to get fitter/faster finally proved to be a myth. Unfortunately, I don't have a black bike, oh, hang on :idea:
    I have a black bike with a red stripe. That red stripe makes it ULTRA fast :D
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    ademort wrote:

One of my bikes is black and red and is quite quick. The Ti bike has red bar tape, red bottle cages and red QR's it would definitely be faster with red carbon wheels.

Red > Black when comparing speed and that is a 100% made up fact.
    I have a black bike with a red stripe. That red stripe makes it ULTRA fast :D
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.