Tektro HDC 300 brakes

MynciBoots
MynciBoots Posts: 15
edited April 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi, just got back into biking after about 8 years, gone from a GT Chucker to Hardrock sports disc 29er, so totally different bikes. Just a bit confused about the brakes, was expecting hydraulic discs to throw me over the bars, but to be honest my old v brakes stopped me quicker! Am I expecting too much or will they need to bed in? The levers travel about an inch before any kind of braking happens. I know I'm a (old!) newbie, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ride and do a few hard stops - they need to bed in.
  • MynciBoots
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Hydraulic brakes aren't about just stopping you quicker than v brakes. They are designed to do it repeatedly, without fading, over long descents and in poor conditions such as rain and mud.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • MynciBoots
    I was more concerned about how much the lever travelled before I noticed any braking, cheers for the info though, it all helps.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The pistons tend to self adjust with use.
  • MynciBoots
    Did a quick ride this morning (about 4-5 miles), and the brakes do stop fairly well, just wish I could get them to bite sooner. Made me realise just how unfit I am as well, knackered now!
  • i had these on my rockhoper 29er and used them for just over 200 miles riding road and offroad and found the amount of travel and the fact it seemed you needed to pump them to get the brakes to work well disapointing i have taken them off and put my 12 year old shimano disc brakes of my old gt idrive and imediatly nearly pulled my front wheel out as the QR was not that tight the tektro could not pull them out. the old brakes work way better at stopping and not such a large distance to get the to start slowing me down i belive myn are not available any more but they do the equivelent set now for around £50
    instructions are for when you cant figure it out yourself
  • Hi Philip,
    I dont know how you are getting on with your disc brakes now but I also found them not to my liking at first.
    After about 80 miles of on and off road on my Giant Roam 2 I have just bled the front brake. Its a little messy the first time because I didnt know what to expect but the performance difference in braking is instant and incredible!
    They brake far stronger and faster than ANYTHING I have cycled before and the lever travel is much shorter now they are bled too which I prefer.
    I hope that helps.
    P.S. Make sure you remove the pads so they dont get oil on them.
  • Savyo
    Savyo Posts: 1
    You should bleed your brakes, and top up the reservoirs with the specified oil (Tektro mineral oil). Alot of travel in the brake lever before action is a sign of low pressure in the system. This is normally caused by air in the system, or too little hydraulic oil. Either way, bleeding the brakes should remedy this. This is a relatively simple procedure, with few tools required other than a service kit from Tektro (http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... rt=1&fid=5). Check out this tutorial on youtube, made by Tektro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWssERgU2fw. Feel free to watch tutorials on other brake systems too, as they are generally very similar, and will increase your understanding. Remember to wear gloves, and to keep the oil away from your brake pads and rotors.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt the OP will read it, hasn't logged on since his last post.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How did this post get over 20,000 views?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I am worth at least 20,000 on my own.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Multiple hits from search engine results probably
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.