Wheels for a Heavier Guy

swa90
swa90 Posts: 17
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Dear all,

I am looking for some advice with regards to getting hold of some new wheels for my bike.

I am 6' 6" in currently weigh just under 290lbs (big boned...)... the weight is on the way down however I know that it does limit me somewhat in wheel choice.

I am on a budget and can only stretch to £150-£200 for a wheelset... I have been looking at these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... oad+Wheels

Thoughts?

Can anyone offer further advice on where I should be looking? I have looked into custom built wheels but they seem quite out of my price range... anything off the shelf worth considering?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I think they would be a terrible choice for you - 16/20 spokes for 290lbs?

I would suggest speaking to a wheelbuilder to see if they can do you a 32/36 set for your budget. alternatively if you want off the shelf I think Mavic Aksiums or Fulcrum Race 5s or 7s are meant to be solid
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    Have a look at kinetic k1 wheels. Bit over budget but great for heavy riders.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Handbuilt, 36 spokes (something decent like DT Swiss Competition, etc.). Strada, Paul Hewitt, Ugo, etc., are the names that spring to mind. IMO, forget factory options.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    have a look at hope hoops

they are a little more, but UK made and lifetime warranty (no quibbles guarantee, if in doubt give them a call)

and probably the only set of road wheels you can do a backflip on (or any of the other things he does on hope hoops)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0
  • swa90
    Crozza wrote:
    I think they would be a terrible choice for you - 16/20 spokes for 290lbs?

I would suggest speaking to a wheelbuilder to see if they can do you a 32/36 set for your budget. alternatively if you want off the shelf I think Mavic Aksiums or Fulcrum Race 5s or 7s are meant to be solid

The Fulcrum race 5s look great may well look into those.

Cheers.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    IIRC from your other thread you are on a Triban 3?? While you are still in a 'weight-shedding' phase (We all secretly are, if we're honest :wink:), I would run your current wheels into the ground/to destruction/until any issues arise whilst saving up for a set of hand-built wheels with a high spoke count (32F, 36R as has been mentioned). Handbuilts are much easier to source parts for and far simpler to service. Several wheelbuilders post on here (Ugo being one) who will no doubt pop up soon to advise, I get hopelessly lost when trying to read 'fluent wheelbuilder'; its all letters and numbers! Have a search of threads on here for some ideas/prices and see if you have anyone local you can ask advice from (Can always hash out a deal better in person than clicking 'Buy').
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    36 spokes on Shimano 105 hubs... probably Ambrosio Balance or Rigida rims... should come in budget on the upper side
    left the forum March 2023
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    I ride hope hoops but they have been far from trouble free! Including being returned for a new rim inside 18mths.
  • swa90
    Great thanks everyone!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    vs4b wrote:
    I ride hope hoops but they have been far from trouble free! Including being returned for a new rim inside 18mths.

so how is the warranty?

and how easy is a free hub service?

and just out interest what kind of rim was it? (and mode of failure, as I build wheels and this is of interest)