BB drainage hole

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

I'm fitting a Campag Athena chainset with PowerTorque cups to a carbon frame which has no drainage hole in the bottom bracket. I noticed the Campag instructions say to contact the frame manufacturer if there is no drainage hole.

Do I really need to worry about it?

The frame was originally sold with a Shimano groupset - do Shimano (or Sram for that matter) also specify that a drainage hole is needed?

Comments

• mattbell
    mattbell Posts: 203
    There must be a hole for the cable to go through?
  • Ian.B
    There is a hole at the bottom of the down tube where the cables come out, but there is no hole in the bottom bracket.
  • mattbell
    mattbell Posts: 203
    i doubt it matters you just need to be conscious of water accumulating there after washing or wet rides.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I think every bike should have a drainage hole in the BB. Your BB will last longer without having to sit in moisture much of the time. Do as Campag recommends and either contact the Mfr. or ask one of the CF repair shops for their opinion and I'm sure they would do it for you for minimal cost. Personally I would just go ahead and do it myself if the shell looks like it can handle it without weakening but if you don't feel comfortable taking this on just contact the experts.
  • Ian.B
    Thanks, I've sent an email to the frame manufacturer and will see what they say