Tyre Levers

Wirral_paul
Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Hi guys n gals

Unsure whether to post here or Road Buying Advice but seems more appropriate here.

I have some carbon clinchers and some very tight tyres. I am looking to get some new tyre levers after so far snapping 2 of the 6 Park Tools levers that i have. Can anyone recommend some stronger (and ideally thinner) levers that are still carbon rim friendly, but also very strong (maybe metal cored)??

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Are you using folding or beaded tyres? Folding should be easy enough to remove by hand. Even beaded shouldnt be too difficult to remove with the aid of one lever.
  • Wirral_paul
    Folded Steve (Vittoria Corsa CX Evo - which are notoriously tight) - and they are impossible to remove by hand as they are that tight. I'm actually needing two levers to get them off and have never struggled so much with any tyres / rims before. I have 3 sets of other wheels and can do all of them without trouble (off and back on) without levers. I'm even looking at Veloplugs for these wheels to give me more room in the centre channel after removing the rim tape to try and making removal / refitting a little easier.
  • smoggysteve
    If you are having serious problems removing them now, think what you will be like doing this on the side of the road in the rain?

Maybe you should just ditch them for something you wont struggle with.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    If you can get them on ive found they do loosen up a bit over time. Mine are pretty easy to remove now after about 3 months.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I hope they soften up... had my first p**cture with them on Friday and they took forever to get off the rim (2 levers). Easy to get on though - weird!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Wirral_paul
    If you are having serious problems removing them now, think what you will be like doing this on the side of the road in the rain?

Maybe you should just ditch them for something you wont struggle with.

Ditch some really good and expensive tyres rather than simply buy some levers that are strong enough for the job? Not likely - the tyres are superb otherwise - and as per Ratsbeyfus, they arent too bad to get on (just needing a single lever).

I'm going to get some Soma tyre levers and see how those go anyway.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14884
  • smoggysteve
    Was just a suggestion. Then again, I cant think I have ever heard of anyone snapping a tyre lever on a folding tyre before. Maybe its something you are doing wrong. If they go on ok but are suddenly tight to remove sounds a bit bizarre to me.
  • Wirral_paul
    I've just tried a Veloflex Corsa tyre on the same rim and whilst not quite so bad - they are still pretty tight (suggesting its the rim thats tight - and combined with a notoriously tight tyre). As said - i have 3 other sets of wheels here (all aluminium) and can fit and remove tyres to them by hand. Not tried a Vittoria onto an another wheel yet though - might try them tomorrow on the DT Swiss 415 rims
  • magliaceleste
    magliaceleste Posts: 748
    @SmoggySteve, it's not wierd. Have you ever actually tried *that* tyre? I've also snapped levers using brand new Vittoria Corsas on Campag rims too. Yet other wheel/tyres combos are easily mounted or dismounted by hand, with no tools.

The good news, once Corsas have stretched, they go on and off much more easily without needing tools. I suspect the same for Veloflex as they are also 'open tubulars' as opposed to more traditional clinchers.

CRC do some cheap steel core levers, the downside is that they are really thick, but do work with effort. I keep them in the garage for those bad days.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55931

p.s. @Wirral_Paul - I also tried Veloplugs instead of rim strips, and they don't help from a tyre mounting point of view.