What's required to replace front hub and cost?

p1tse
p1tse Posts: 694
edited May 2013 in Workshop
I was looking at a wheel set but front is damaged
"Bearing in front collapsed on a ride out and as I had to continue it moved and damaged the hub"
Apprantly front needs new hub, so what's required and estimate shop cost to do this?
Wanted: Cube Streamer/Agree GTC Compact / Pro/ Race : 53cm

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Is it a cup and cone hub or a cartridge bearing hub. If it is the later it is proabbly salavagable. If it the former the hub should be stripped down to inspect the hub shell. If that's O.K then replace the cone and bearings.

If the hub is done then remove the spokes and pick your new hub, Shimano, Miche, Novatec, Hope, DT Swiss....... measure the hub vital dimensions and measure the ERD of the rim and pop the number into spoke calc. Then build. Sheldon brown's site has everything you need to know. Or pop it down to your LBS that what they are there for if they are any good. It should cost no more than £40 + the cost of the hub if new spokes are used which they probably will have to unless you use a hub with the same PCD.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • p1tse
    Its on an American classic victory 30
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Not so simple... the front has 18 spokes which limits your hub choice considerably. If you find a replacement, then the job is straightforward if you know what you are doing (probably best left to a professional).
    The job per se is around 30 pounds, 40 tops, considering the wheel needs to be dismantled, rather than butchered
    left the forum March 2023
  • p1tse
    Ah right
    Thanks

What's the cost of a new hub?
  • ugo.santalucia
    p1tse wrote:
    Ah right
    Thanks

What's the cost of a new hub?

http://www.justridingalong.com/micro-58-hub.html
  • p1tse
    Thanks

Seen a lbs online which do wheel builds at £25

Not got the wheels yet, but wandered if the hubs can be repaired, as what's broken in it from the bearings?
  • ugo.santalucia
    p1tse wrote:
    Thanks

Seen a lbs online which do wheel builds at £25

Not got the wheels yet, but wandered if the hubs can be repaired, as what's broken in it from the bearings?

I have no idea, you said it was broken and I assume it's broken, if you say so...
  • p1tse
    Thanks again
    Guess will get it inspected once received.
  • p1tse
    Would any road front 18h hub fit or do they come in different sizes etc for wheel brands?
  • ugo.santalucia
    p1tse wrote:
    Would any road front 18h hub fit or do they come in different sizes etc for wheel brands?

If you want to keep the spokes you need one with a similar flange... in fairness most 18 holes you will find on the market will be the cigar type that I gave you the link... whether they are made by Novatec or Bitex and rebranded, they have a 29-30 mm flange distance between the holes.
    Because the wheel is built radially, a hub with significantly bigger flange will require shorter spokes
  • p1tse
    Thanks. Managed to pick up a Mavic Ksyrium Elite Hub - Front 18H. Hope if it does need replacing this might do the trick, if it doesn't work out I'll just off load the rim and hub separately
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, I am glad I spend time giving you advice you don't listen to... :wink:

Mavic use a wide range of proprietary parts and their hubs are designed to work with their spokes, so I can't be 100% positive you will strike lucky with that... also, your hub is for straight pull spokes, while the AC you had before was for J bend... am I correct? If that's the case you are looking at new spokes too and straight pull spokes of the correct size are always difficult to source
  • p1tse
    I am listening but I got the mavic one on a whim as was cheaper
    Also its now getting to the realms of technical jargon which I'm confused, but appreciate your feedback as I won't be shocked if I presented it to a workshop as you would have mentioned it
  • ugo.santalucia
    p1tse wrote:
    I am listening but I got the mavic one on a whim as was cheaper
    Also its now getting to the realms of technical jargon which I'm confused, but appreciate your feedback as I won't be shocked if I presented it to a workshop as you would have mentioned it

Buy cheap, buy twice... :wink:
  • p1tse
    This is what the hub looks like, I wander if it's repairable or needs a replacement?
    Will take it to a couple of lbs which builds wheels for verdict

0330851C-D372-4D10-97A5-34DEDBD7D8E7-389-0000002611CAA008_zps89dfa2dd.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    p1tse wrote:
    This is what the hub looks like, I wander if it's repairable or needs a replacement?
    Will take it to a couple of lbs which builds wheels for verdict

0330851C-D372-4D10-97A5-34DEDBD7D8E7-389-0000002611CAA008_zps89dfa2dd.jpg

Probably not, it will always feel like grit when the cap sits on the shell... you need to machine it or you can get a new one as per previous link.
    These are very light hubs and get damaged very easily
  • p1tse
    Cool, thanks
    Surprised to see the graphics on the link above is very different to this original one
    Just got to decide is it worth the extra £50 part and £30 labour as an estimate
  • ugo.santalucia
    p1tse wrote:
    Cool, thanks
    Surprised to see the graphics on the link above is very different to this original one
    Just got to decide is it worth the extra £50 part and £30 labour as an estimate

50 pounds for a front hub is pretty mainstream, not outrageous and the 30 quote is quite honest too, considering the wheel needs to be dismantled and rebuilt... it takes more than an hour to do a good job.
    Depends how much these wheels retail for, but they aren't cheap, are they?
  • p1tse
    No the wheels aren't cheap by any means.
    Need to weigh up the costs