My next bike...

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Last Summer I bought my first road bike in many years - Triban 3 - and am loving it and looking forward to a good Summer or riding...

My question is, I would like to keep riding it next Winter and then demote it to a 'winter bike' and buy myself a nice shiny new Summer bike next year; however, the bikes I am looking at by increasing my budget to £1000 don't look drastically better than my T3 unless I stick with Decathlon.

Do I lose so much value by going for a brand? I was looking to try carbon, something much lighter, etc.

In all honesty, the groupset on my T3 is good enough (gears change well enough) and a new set of wheels will bring it in under 10Kg.

How much should I look to spend to get a reasonable upgrade.

Comments

• mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    I have a Claude butler roubaix which would be a similar entry level model to your triban. You can find as new or new a mavic aksium wheels for between £100-150, this is exactly what I have done and find them great. Coupled with lightweight tyres and latex tubes.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    A grand could get you a very nice aluminium bike, maybe a Canyon if you want to buy online or a Cannondale CAAD 10 if you don't, for a bit more money.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • A friend is in the same position, and I pointed him in the direction of the Canyon RoadLite 6 which looked to be a a very decent set up for the money.

Out of interest where can you get a CAAD10 for a grand or less? Cheapest I have seen is over £1200 so that's a reasonable difference in price?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    A friend is in the same position, and I pointed him in the direction of the Canyon RoadLite 6 which looked to be a a very decent set up for the money.

Out of interest where can you get a CAAD10 for a grand or less? Cheapest I have seen is over £1200 so that's a reasonable difference in price?

I don't think you can, which is what the bloke said.
  • Neil_aky
    Neil_aky Posts: 211
    Ribble was the other idea I had; nothing wrong with Decathlon and the options you outline are on my list but, for me, £1000 is a lot of money for a bike so I started looking at more recognised brands...

However, I am coming to the conclusion that you do pay for a brand name and I really want to concentrate on riding, not of collecting bikes / kit.

Going to enjoy the summer then have another think later in the year.

Thanks
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I did a few test rides, read loads of reviews and the defy 1 soon became the best choice for under 1000 to me. Good luck finding one though, they are mostly sold out because they are so good!
  • Garry H wrote:
    I don't think you can, which is what the bloke said.

Yeah I reread what he said after that. I must learn to read slower and actually take things in :roll:
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    Take a serious look at Ribble.
    I have a Triban 3 as my daily commute bike and a ribble gran fondo for weekend fun.
    They are like chalk and cheese. You WILL notice the difference.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Verenti insight 105 from wiggle looks pretty good also. In doing the same as your, have a t3 that has been good and want to move to the next level with a carbon lovely.
  • dazzlers82
    dazzlers82 Posts: 50
    I was in same position an just got my bike, and I went for a Scott speedster 20 it has 105 and I could not believe how much lighter it felt over my claud butler san remo, it was also under a £1000.
    Scott speedster 20 compact 2013
    Claud butler san remo 2012