Wheel upgrade - Mavic Ksyrium Elite to Cosmic Carbone SL

elffy
elffy Posts: 98
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I presently ride Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and I was looking to upgrade to some aerodynamic wheels such as the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL. The Kysrium Elite wheels are lighter but not as aerodynamic so would I be wasting my money with this upgrade? Am I right in thinking that the Cosmic would be a better wheel on rolling flat roads but would be worse than the Ksyrium when climbing? I would be grateful for any advise.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    You would be wasting your money... the Cosmic Carbone are Ksyrium with a wing of carbon plastic... a lot of money to carry around something like that

As the carbon fibre is not structural, there is no reason to use such an expensive material... you could have a wing made of mylar or monofilm, as used in the sail making industry, a lot lighter and orders of magnitude cheaper
    left the forum March 2023
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    ugo what do you make of the Ksyrium elites in general and the R-SYS version?
  • ugo.santalucia
    yeachan153 wrote:
    ugo what do you make of the Ksyrium elites in general and the R-SYS version?

The Elite are good allround wheels... I would not recommend them for those who want to do high mileage, as rim replacement for wear is an impossibility, given the price of spares, but they tend to last a fair bit, so if you only do 3000 miles per year on them, they might do 3-4 years, which is not bad going. Reasonable weight, good bearings... only problem is the lack and cost of replacement parts, should anything go wrong (accident, for instance).
    The SYS are very light, too light... and they pay the price for the weight saving... carbon and aluminium spokes are a bad idea, superlight bearings will last less than heavier ones... I would only recommend those for those riders with too much money, who only get the chance to ride their bike sparingly and like to treat themselves with something that wow their club mates.
    If you want a sub 1300 grams wheelset, you can get one built on a budget... it will do the same job of the R-SYS and will cost a small fraction of those... it will be equally short lived, but at least minor issues can be fixed without getting a loan
  • elffy
    elffy Posts: 98
    Ugo, can you recommend me any wheels to upgrade to from my Elites?
  • ugo.santalucia
    elffy wrote:
    Ugo, can you recommend me any wheels to upgrade to from my Elites?

I don't think you can upgrade... you can spend a lot of money and for a few weeks you will have the placebo effect of a transformed bike... then you will realise nothing has changed, really.
    If you find them too harsh, next time get something with crossed tiny spokes instead of radial chunky ones... otherwise get more Elites.
    If you already have a 400 pounds wheelset, Clothing and cycling holidays is where my cycling money would go
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    Does the mavic mp3 replacement scheme work if you buy from somewhere like wiggle etc?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Does the mavic mp3 replacement scheme work if you buy from somewhere like wiggle etc?

I suppose... you have to register it and pay.... roughly speaking mp3 costs 10% of the price tag of the wheels, which is in line with what you would pay for an insurance vs theft for example... similar thing... it's not that Mavic is giving you anything for free