So, I moved to greater London...

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
And my morning commute could not be easier.

Most mornings I walk to work, about a 10 minute walk door to door.

However, on Nursery days, the Surly with co rider seat comes out. This morning was beautiful, a ride along the towpath with my daughter, we fed the ducks and swans, had a lovely morning....all before 8am! What a genuinely pleasant experience.

I am on road for about 600 yards in total, the rest is towpath. Still saw a red light jumper though.....

Thinking about a longboard skateboard to break the walk up - any experience anyone....

**I am 40, so, stablility is key for me!

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,570
    Excellent. I saw a chap rollerblading to work through Bushy Park this morning. Looked quite pleasant, but swinging his arms about like a speed skater meant he needed most of the path and still nearly took my eye out.
    Stability would be an issue for me on them being north of 40 with the coordination of a drunk penguin.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What about one of those Scooter things that you see,

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/ ... 37x376.jpg
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    rubertoe wrote:
    What about one of those Scooter things that you see,

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-content/ ... 37x376.jpg

300px-Mobility_scooter_zoo.jpg ??
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is that you in front CP? - A recovery ride?
  • cyclingprop
    coriordan wrote:
    Is that you in front CP? - A recovery ride?

Totes. Need all the help I can get up hill.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    A skateboard? You are a big 40 year old man, what is wrong with you?

Next you'll be getting a blackberry and desperately trying to share your BBN or whatever the kidz are calling it these dayz, blud!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    A skateboard? You are a big 40 year old man, what is wrong with you?

Next you'll be getting a blackberry and desperately trying to share your BBN or whatever the kidz are calling it these dayz, blud!

That's the answer I need and expect from DDD; straight to the point and telling me that I am being t0$$er :lol::lol::lol: and he is 100% correct!

As a child, I was never allowed a skateboard, so, I am seeing this as my *new* midlife crisis....I just bought some Dr Dre Powerbeats headphones too...It's all kicking off!

Not even a 46" longboard?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @gtvlusso - Ignore DDD. You enjoy your skateboard and headphones. Also, if you replace the word 'blud' with 'fam' or 'fambily' that will go down well with the younger folk :twisted:

:lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    Cafewanda wrote:
    @gtvlusso - Ignore DDD. You enjoy your skateboard and headphones. Also, if you replace the word 'blud' with 'fam' or 'fambily' that will go down well with the younger folk :twisted:

:lol:
    Yeah, haters gone hate. I completely forgot that 'blud' has been replaced with 'fam', I'm so out of touch....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I only know because my 40yo nephew and his friends use that word. I'll need a language update from the 20something nephews soon :lol:
  • gtvlusso
    I am so out of touch, I though that 'blud' was an acronym or spelling mistake....but I was afraid to ask.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Blud - one of the Slavic fairies in Slavic mythology, is an evil-deity that causes disorientation and leads a person aimlessly around and round.

:wink:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,570
    This Blud chappy would appear to live on my shoulder if I ever have to go shopping.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ...I just bought some Dr Dre Powerbeats headphones too...It's all kicking off!
    Why would you buy these? Absolute rubbish.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    I placed a pair of Beats on my head, I thought they sounded great. Not £100 - £300 great. Anyway real DJs (which mean the cool kids) wear Sennheiser. But haters gone hate. Do your thing GTV!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I placed a pair of Beats on my head, I thought they sounded great. Not £100 - £300 great. Anyway real DJs (which mean the cool kids) wear Sennheiser. But haters gone hate. Do your thing GTV!

Sennheiser are the Specialized/Trek of headphones. AKG or Beyerdynamic is where its at for real world budgets (IMHO)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Coach H wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Sennheiser are the Specialized/Trek of headphones. AKG or Beyerdynamic is where its at for real world budgets (IMHO)

Is there anything people can't be snobs about? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ...I just bought some Dr Dre Powerbeats headphones too...It's all kicking off!
    Why would you buy these? Absolute rubbish.
    +1 They're really awful for how much they cost. The bass is loose and messy, theres no mid range. I tried a £160 pair once and my £35 Grado headphones blew them out of the water in sound quality.
  • DonDaddyD
    Generally speaking I don't expect much from a pair of headphones beyond their ability to make things sound marginally decent. It's like expecting PC game performance from a Netbook/tablet or laptop - you ought to go desktop PC.

I'm sure GTVLUSSO has a pair of Martin Logan's at home powered by a valve amp.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Anonymous
    What would you recommend for under £50 (preferably over the ear, closed back)
  • notsoblue
    coriordan wrote:
    What would you recommend for under £50 (preferably over the ear, closed back)

http://www.whathifi.com/review/igrado
    http://www.grado.co.uk/grado-earphones/ ... phones.htm

These are the ones I wear. They probably look a bit silly but the sound quality is awesome (for headphones). Nice tight bass, a rich sound. What are your listening habits? I use these on the commute and they're open enough to be able to hear traffic behind and around you. They're neckband so you can wear them with a helmet on, and while running. The fit is tight, but comfortable.

It would be worth shopping around because I've seen them selling from £35 to £50. Imo, you can't get better neckband over ear headphones.
  • Anonymous
    I mostly listen when travelling (tube/train) and laptop for films.

Im not keen on open back as I prefer a bit of noise cancellation, and I'd rather over the top of the head. Will look at that company though
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,757
    Coach H wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Had a bad experience with beyerdynamic. Good sound for your buck but poor build quality. Now use Bower & Wilkins(C5). Not necessarily the most accurate but outstanding sound and very livley without being wearing. Outstanding in ear bud fit and isloation too.
  • notsoblue
    coriordan wrote:

Im not keen on open back as I prefer a bit of noise cancellation, and I'd rather over the top of the head. Will look at that company though
    Gotcha. Theres some sound leakage from these, so probably not the best for public transport. The upside is that the fit and sound quality is good enough that you dont have to have them very loud.
  • rick_chasey
    Fwiw I think noise cancelling are overrated. They're bulky, need their own power source, have fidly mics to deal with and the quality is no better.

A good set of in ear buds that fit well will block out more than enough. I use my earphones in a similar way to you (I.e. mainly when travelling)
  • cyclingprop
    notsoblue wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

Gotcha. Theres some sound leakage from these, so probably not the best for public transport. The upside is that the fit and sound quality is good enough that you dont have to have them very loud.

Yours are open back so the rest of us can hear what you're listening to on the Embankment, right...? ;)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Coach H wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dunno. I was speaking to a guy who helped kit out the old World Service Studios and the current BBC studios in New Broadcasting House suggested Sennheisers as the best value neutral hedset you could get; specifically the 202s and 280s.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have two sets of headphones. Everyday use is covered by senhieser pxc300, the noise cancelling on them isn't great but the sound quality is very good considering they are not closed cup plus they don't leak which is good for work. Just replaced the ear pads on them cost £6 and they look new again. Only complaint is the noise cancelling circuit has a tiny amount of hiss in it but that's only an issue listening to something quiet is a quiet place. They are also not very sensitive which means they can be quiet compared to other stuff, so I run with a filo 06 amp which is great bit of kit.

The other pair are technics rpdj1200 which I use for djing and late night music + tv love them, and for £120 beat (pun intended) the beats stuff hands down for quality. I cannot stand in ear stuff.....

I keep pondering replacing one or both as I've had them a while (technics over 10years) but cannot find anything I like as much without spending a lot.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Anonymous
    I am looking at something which is a similar look/style to the beats ones - over the ear, closed back, over the head. I think the Sennheiser ones you have sound pretty spot on. I looked at the ones NSB recommended and they look amazing, but if seems all the Grado ones are open back, which I don't want.

I used to have a relatively inexpensive pair of Sennheiser ones which were awesome, but not very loud on my ipod (but booming when on my laptop). Annoyingly one of the sides died (which seems to be a recurring problem with my ipod!)

Annoyingly I have an odd inner ear which means bud-type ones don't stay in and eventually start to ache my ears.
  • rick_chasey
    Moved to Fulham corriordan??

I find seinheisers a little wearing. I'm sure they're accurate, but that's not the be all unless you're producing music.

They're quite harsh on the ear.

If you're not rough with your stuff the beyerdynamic (DT770s) is the best sound for your buck. Well rounded, full sound without much overpowering. A little u shaped sound but that makes them a lot livelier than say the seinheisers.

Shures have a flatter sound but still very good, but it's like wearing two bricks on your head.