Giant TCR composite 0 or Kuota Kharma Evo

damonshaw
damonshaw Posts: 3
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

Looking for some constructive advice.

I'm looking to spend upto £3k on a new road bike and I have narrowed my search down to these 2 bikes, I'm looking at the Di2 option for both.

I cycle approx 250 miles a week, mostly at weekends so in the saddle for longer periods!!
Cover varied terrains, ie, long climbs, flats

Anyone got one of these bikes? Pro & cons for either?

Thanks for your help in advanced

Comments

• brindlescoops
    brindlescoops Posts: 464
    I have been looking at the Kharma too, looks very nice, a bit more interesting than the Giant as well.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I just today bought the Giant, frame only. All the reviews I found stated it was excellent. I reckon its as good as anything in the 5K bracket. The finish is superb and the Ridesense is a nice feature. Team it up with the Contact SLR stem and they look great. I'll build mine with full Red and Cosmic carbones.

Wasn't considering the Kharma, it does however look the part.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    I'm looking at the Kharma too, but with SRAM Force. Went into the shop with a Trek 3.5 in my head, but as soon I saw the Kharma and heard the price I have been swayed. Not a lot of info out there about it but hoping to give it a test ride soon. Compared to my Trek 1.1 it's unlikely to be disappointing. I feel faster just by looking at it and that is as close to scientific proof as I need
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Giant
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    I have a kharma evo on ultegra-couldn't be happier would definitely recommend
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Kuotas look cool, but that does not make it a better bike. You need to test ride them to get an idea what you want. No point going off other peoples opinions as they aint you and may have very different riding style, position, taste to you.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Kuotas look cool, but that does not make it a better bike. You need to test ride them to get an idea what you want. No point going off other peoples opinions as they aint you and may have very different riding style, position, taste to you.

+1 Just about to post the same thing!
  • damonshaw
    damonshaw Posts: 3
    Hi

Thanks for your replies

Some good feed back, but still no further on in deciding which of these 2 bikes to buy.

I have ridden both of them and they both feel great.

I might have to just toss a coin!!!
  • Hi,

Everyone will always plump for the bike they bought but I have just splashed out on the Kharma. I was looking at a Jamis, a Willier and a LaPierre and my reasons for going with the Kharma were:

1) It looks brilliant!

2) I didnt want a mainstream bike, sick of seeing Specialized, Giant, Trek, Cannondale and slowly the Pinarellos are going that way too.

3) It feels very stiff, but light, mind you most carbon bikes will but then i'm 100+ kg and wanted something i could trust, the geometry isnt all out racing but then not a sit up tourer too, it is in the middle making it feel great for an hr sprint when you try and emulate Wiggo in a TT or for some serious hours in the saddle attempting your own mountain stage.

4) The fact you can tweak little things for no added costs such as bar width, stem length etc. Also I went for the Apex white group set which released some cash to upgrade the wheels to Cosmic elites to truly match the aero frame. (Primera Sports in B'mth did a great job here and built it up beautifully)

5) Did I mention It just looks brilliant, the more you feel good about the bike you ride the more you will ride and thats the aim right?

As mch as i want to fly the flag for Kuota i dont want to fly it too high as dont want to see one leant up against every cake shop wall ou there otherwise I will have failed in point 2!

Just dont make the decision on stats and figures - riding is about having fun and escaping the drudgery of the day to day world and you can only do that when you follow the inner child!