Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Strange behaviour when overtaken

muzzanmuzzan Posts: 203
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
I've had this a few times recently, notably this morning on way to work.

Catch up with bloke on a MTB, pass him in a non aggressive manner with a friendly "morning". No drama, just 2 people making their way to work at their own pace.

Then get caught at a set of lights, at which point guy comes up behind, edges in front of me & makes to race off at the lights. I'm not a racer, but its never a contest, hes on a MTB & I'm on a road bike. So basically he forces me to pass him again, PITA for me, more anguish for him if he didnt like it the 1st time, what is the point?

Funniest one was when I passed a really old guy the other day, talking maybe 75/80. He waved me through & I actually thought he had gone another way at a junction, was a fierce head wind (my excuse). Next thing I know I hear a car horn & hes making an incredibly dangerous overtaking move, gets in front of me & then slows down to a crawl again, was laughing & just waited behind as I was only a mile from home.

I guess people dont like getting overtaken, & sometimes my friendly hello might come across as something else in their head but why put yourself through the pain twice?

Posts

  • EKE_38BPMEKE_38BPM Posts: 5,980
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

    I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • muzzanmuzzan Posts: 203
    No, I get that obviously & I do indulge sometimes.... but when I'm overtaken I bide my time & wait to see what the guy is really made of before making my move, if they are clearly faster than I wouldnt force my self in front at a set of lights just to be overtaken immediately again, not good for the ego that surely.
  • fat_tailfat_tail Posts: 786
    I have also noticed that if you pass someone legitimately and drop him or her (usually him to be fair to the fairer sex) a long way and then you start slowing down because the light up ahead is red (and you can both see it) they will then accelerate and get in front of you. so you have to pass them again and again ...
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • spatulukspatuluk Posts: 28
    At least it was only one guy. I frequently get shoaled in by several previously-overtaken cyclists at lights. I can't get by the one in front, and can't move out to overtake because someone else is next to me. The only way out of the moving roadblock is to go even slower and get out of the back, and then pass the lot of them in one massive maneuver.

    Until the next lights.

    It almost makes me wanna RLJ so I don't have to put up with it! :P
  • warrengwarreng Posts: 535
    spatuluk wrote:
    It almost makes me wanna RLJ so I don't have to put up with it! :P

    And that's what I end up doing. CS7 between Stockwell and Tooting Broadway is a nightmare for being shoaled (new word - will crowbar it into every conversation over the next few weeks).
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • phy2sll2phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    spatuluk wrote:
    The only way out of the moving roadblock is to go even slower and get out of the back, and then pass the lot of them in one massive maneuver.

    Silly Commuter Devil Racers?
  • EKE_38BPMEKE_38BPM Posts: 5,980
    spatuluk wrote:
    At least it was only one guy. I frequently get shoaled in by several previously-overtaken cyclists at lights. I can't get by the one in front, and can't move out to overtake because someone else is next to me. The only way out of the moving roadblock is to go even slower and get out of the back, and then pass the lot of them in one massive maneuver.

    Until the next lights.

    It almost makes me wanna RLJ so I don't have to put up with it! :P
    You are awarded a point for introducing a new word to the SCR lexicon and immediately lose it for using an American spelling.

    Sorry, thems the rules.





    That I just made up.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

    I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,451 Lives Here
    Shoaled has been used in the SCR thread quite a bit recently. EKE fails for not keeping up.
  • mudcow007mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Had a tussle with a guy this morning on a MTB, i over took him then had to stop to take a phone call. over took him again, he rode through a red light to get past, i over take him again then get caught at second junction, he then scoots across the pavement

    i win on default, still annoying though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • spatulukspatuluk Posts: 28
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You are awarded a point for introducing a new word to the SCR lexicon and immediately lose it for using an American spelling.

    Sorry, thems the rules.That I just made up.
    Hey - maybe I'm American!



    I'm not American.
  • junglist_mattyjunglist_matty Posts: 1,715
    muzzan wrote:
    I'm not a racer, but its never a contest, hes on a MTB & I'm on a road bike

    I overtook quite a few "roadies" this morning ;)

    http://app.strava.com/activities/51675704
  • kurakokurako Posts: 1,098
    warreng wrote:
    spatuluk wrote:
    It almost makes me wanna RLJ so I don't have to put up with it! :P

    And that's what I end up doing. CS7 between Stockwell and Tooting Broadway is a nightmare for being shoaled (new word - will crowbar it into every conversation over the next few weeks).

    Easy. Stop further back/ further out and let all the nodders bunch up in front. Normally a car or two will be able to squeeze past as they're setting off then you can then drop them safe in the knowledge any cars behind won't be able to get past the throng
  • EKE_38BPMEKE_38BPM Posts: 5,980
    spatuluk wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You are awarded a point for introducing a new word to the SCR lexicon and immediately lose it for using an American spelling.

    Sorry, thems the rules.That I just made up.
    Hey - maybe I'm American!



    I'm not American.
    veronese68 wrote:
    Shoaled has been used in the SCR thread quite a bit recently. EKE fails for not keeping up.

    Right, new scores:
    Spatuluk loses a point for being guilty of the use of an American spelling whilst not being guilty of being an American.
    I lose a point for not keeping bang up to date with the 'jive talk' that the kids use in the SCR thread.
    V68 loses a point for back chat. Its that or a sin binning.

    The moral of the story is: Argue with the ref and everyone loses.


    I just appointed myself ref.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

    I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • muzzanmuzzan Posts: 203
    muzzan wrote:
    I'm not a racer, but its never a contest, hes on a MTB & I'm on a road bike

    I overtook quite a few "roadies" this morning ;)

    http://app.strava.com/activities/51675704

    Thats a good effort & I know that there are many on here who could skin me easily on a childs bike, but thats not the point is it? If they were really faster they would just overtake in "open play", not wait till a set of lights
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,451 Lives Here
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I lose a point for not keeping bang up to date with the 'jive talk' that the kids use in the SCR thread.
    V68 loses a point for back chat. Its that or a sin binning.

    The moral of the story is: Argue with the ref and everyone loses.


    I just appointed myself ref.
    I'll take the sin bin. But you now owe me a pint for forcing me to point out the error of your ways.
  • jedsterjedster Posts: 2,004
    To be fair, it's not very busy with cyclists on my journey but I dont get much of this. I think the reason might be road positioning. IME the slow folks who insist on going to the front at lights are kerb huggers - they like to position themselves at the front near the kerb (often infront of the stop line). I dont play that game. I either get to the front in the middle of the lane or sit behind a car in the middle of the lane. Either way it means I'm well-positioned to get a fast start and pass them or just slip stream the car that will soon be overtaking them before pulling in
Sign In or Register to comment.