Beware the winter salt !

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited May 2013 in Workshop
Just tried to remove pedals from winter bike----never before in 30 years cycling have I had such a struggle :roll: :roll: ; EVENTUALLY with aid of a 3ft scaffold pipe on teh spanner got them off.

Amazingly corroded, all white and crusted on the threads and crankarms--and I had put grease on before winter too. So tightly on and corroded they even removed the facing washers off the crankarms :(

So I wonder what other problems may lie in store after this winter and heavy road salt use, rotting tyres?

Comments

• ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Chatting to a local bike shop mechanic and he said this year was the busiest they have been for problems like this. Problem is most pedal axles are stainless steel and crank arms are aluminium, these dissimilar metals cause galvanic corrosion which is not helped by all the salt and wet weather we have had. Personally I would recommend stripping the bike, cleaning with fresh water and rebuild with anti-seize compound. Also replace bar tape and give bars a good wipe down. I have seen bars that have almost completely corroded through from attack from salt (in sweat).
    Might even be worth treating inside of frame with wax oil or similar especially if steel.