Lapierre raid 200/Carrera Kraken

Darlophil
Darlophil Posts: 16
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Having initially getting a cheapo apollo bike (following years of not riding bike and wanting to make sure I wasn't going waste hundreds on a decent bike and stop riding after a few months), I have decided that after 3 years or so I've had all the milage I can get out of it and its time to look towards a decent entry level bike.

I've so far narrowed it down to two bikes but to be honest I'm not clued up to the differences between say a suntour XCM and a XCR fork, so i'd find any advice useful.

The two bikes i'm looking at are as the title states, Lapierre raid 200 and Carrera Kraken.

The kraken is just over £400 at the moment and the lapierre just over £500. I might be able to get a discount on the lapierre but a) not sure how much yet and b) not sure if the extra cost is worth it for the 'brand'.

The main differences I could find between the two are listed below so it would be interesting to hear any advice/critisisms on the bikes.

Lapierre raid 200

Frame 6061 alu
Fork Suntour XCM
Travel 100mm
Gear mech Shimano M190/360
Brakes Shimano M395 hydraulic

Carrera Kraken

Frame 7005 alu
Fork XCR-D
Travel 120mm
Gear mech SRAM X5
Brakes Clarks skeletal hudraulic

Cheers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Apart from having slightly better brakes the Lapierre is worse in every respect than the Kraken.
    Lapierre link (always provide links for people!)
    http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb/lei ... d/raid-200
    Kraken
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

Suntour XC family is XCT->XCM->XCR, XCT are horrid, XCM with Hydraulic damper are OK, XCR are lighter and most (not all) come with Hydraulic damper.

It doesn't say but the Lapierre is almost certainly an undamped fork, the Krakens is damped.

At that price look also at the Voodoo Bantu or Hoodoo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.