can you identify the clanking noise?

mrbubbaman
mrbubbaman Posts: 171
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I've started getting a clanking noise when pedalling recently and wanted some opinions as to what it could be. I took a video whilst the wife was doing her 20 minutes on the turbo trainer (she wasn't amused!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze-vfUt ... ata_player

Sorry for the loud turbo noise! It's the clanking that you can hear every now and again, I'm not sure what it is, maybe the bottom bracket??

Thanks

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    have you tried placing your ear on the saddle front whilst turning the pedals (probably not whilst the wife is on the bike :shock: ) It is then easier to work out where precisely where the sound is coming from.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    team47b wrote:
    have you tried placing your ear on the saddle front whilst turning the pedals (probably not whilst the wife is on the bike :shock: ) It is then easier to work out where precisely where the sound is coming from.

Probably should add that when I get the noise, I can feel it through the pedals, which is why I thought it may be the bottom bracket initially.
    I'll give your idea a try later whilst its on the trainer again (minus the Wife :mrgreen: )
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,526
    does the rear mech move, or the chain jump, or catch when the clank happens?

if you look at the chain from above as it rotates, you should be able to spot any link out of line/damaged

look from behind as the chain goes over cassette to see if it's skipping/catching on the cassette

look from the side to see if the chain is catching on the rear mech, it'd make the cage jump

do the pedals turn freely? i had a pedal bearing fail, didn't realise as i could still pedal without it feeling bad, but by hand i couldn't turn the pedal at all
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny