Chain fell off small ring need advice.

mcicyclist
mcicyclist Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Hi,
I just bought a bike from my lbs about a week ago and I dont think the derailur was adjusted properly because the chain fell of during normal road cycling. It scracthed up the frame but also bent a peice of metal that protects the frame. As you can see in this(blurry sorry) photo.
http://imgur.com/Xl27fSN,g9xZSXV#1
I think the metal needs to be replaced or removed. Anyway how should I confront my lbs about this? Is it safe to assume the derailuer was not adjusted properly? It is shimano 105 with ultegra rear deraileur. All brand new. Is this a common thing on road bikes? I had a £300 budget road bike before this and the chain never fell off and the deraileur was never readjusted.
Appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sounds like the limit setting for the small chain ring has not been adjusted correctly allowing the chain to unship.

This is basic adjustment that should have been carried out by your LBS as part of the pre-delivery check.

The only other explanation might be if you hit a severe pot-hole and the chain was not under proper tension and jumped off as a result.

If that is not the case then take the bike back and ask the LBS to repair or replace the chain guard (bit of metal you describe that is now bent) and also to get the gear set up correct.
  • Hard to say without knowing exactly what you were doing when it slipped off e.g. shifting up or down ?? but - If you didn't touch the FD and its brand new then IMO the most likeley explanation is that the low limit screw was not set correctly - if it is set then it doesn't let the chain overshift like that. If the FD is set up correctly then the chain shouldn't fall off but many folks use a chain catcher (I have a Deda Dog Fang) to catch the chain if it does slip off. I can't see on the photo the thing you think has been damaged nor the damage so can't comment on that.

If you are not happy though the best thing to do is take much better photographs (for your own records should you need them in the future) and then go in to retailer with the bike and explain to them what happened, how you feel about it and what you want them to do. Then see what they say and decide are you happy with it. If you are not - and you weren't dealing with them already - then ask to speak to the manager or owner (be prepared to make an appointment and come back later if they are not in that day) and speak to them. Be polite and clear about the issue at all times and be clear about what you want them to do. If you are not statisfied with the manager owners response tell them that and that you will be contacting Consumers Advice about how to pursue a complaint under the Sale of Goods Act. If that doesn't move them to a response where you are satisfied then contact CA and they will advise you what to do. Their web site is good and its up to you how far you wish to pursue it. Trading Standards officers are also (IME) very helpful.

Best of luck and remember be calm at all times, take good photos of the damage and make notes afterwards of what was said in conversations and by whom - if you do pursue a claim against them those records will help. Give the lbs owner the chance to be reasonable and be prepared to discuss it with them. If you think they are BSing you get a second opinion. CA and TS will advise you on your rights.