Looking for Backpack advice.

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
I have a normal school bag for going to work, I am looking into getting a proper cycling/running backpack that will need to fit two lunch boxes trousers, runners ,tshirt huddy, I have no idea on whats good or bad or what I need, I want something that will last through Irish rain.

Comments

• pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    I've been very impressed with my osprey bag, so whichever one of those fits everything in.

or a camelback
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I use a rolltop stuffsack in a normal rucksack. Makes sure thay everything is 100% waterproof and keeps shirts etc grease free if you use the bag for other cycling related things.

Other than that my advice for bags is try it on, prefereably with a helmet as plenty of them obsure your vision when you're looking over your shoulder or interfere with your helmet if you get even fairly low on the bike.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I've had an older version of this for years and it's still going strong,
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ation-bags

It has a frame and mesh 'aeroflex' panelt that holds the pack away from your back so it gets less sweaty. Also stops things digging into your back. Might be a little small for what you want to carry, I can fit jeans, t-shirt shoes and lunch at a squeeze so maybe see if they do a bigger version.
  • make sure it is narrow/in profile with your back. I just use a Karrimor basic jobby from Blacks (Kodiak 35). Rode in this morning with complete set of clothes, shoes, towel and laptop plus lunch. was a bit heavy with the laptop though!
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Have a look in Mountain Warehouse and just try things on. I've got one of their day packs with a hydration bladder, more for long walks rather than cycling. I've been using it as my everyday rucksack on my commute for years. Takes 2x4 pint milk bottles and other general shopping without any trouble. I'll stuff my clothes in a carrier bag if its raining, keeps them nice and dry.
    No point spending over the odds.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Look At the alpkit website. They do dry bags as backpacks. Just the job and cheap.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Deuter
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • I have a Deuter Bike One (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-bike-one ... -rucksack/) that I got for the Monday/Friday work clothes trips and it's been fantastic. More than enough room for a weeks worth of clothing for me.

It has great back support , a mesh net helmet holder for when you're off the bike and although it doesn't mention it on the website it has a high vis cover that stows away in the bottom pocket which offers some good protection from the rain.

It is a bit costly but I've used to on the bike and I took it to India when I went travelling as well and I didn't get a hot/sweaty back with it.