Perverts day out

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/crossrider.html

New for 2013 is Leicestershire and Rutland's first cyclocross sportive, giving you the chance to discover parts of east Leicestershire and west Rutland you didn't know existed. Taking in a comination of off-road tracks, bridleways and green lanes, this event can be ridden on a cyclocross bike or mountain bike as it mixes the two disciplines. The surfaces vary from reasonable tarmac to grass to hard and uneven surfaces with the odd brook thrown in. It is unsuitable for a road bike, unless you like falling off and shopping for new wheels.

The event is fully signposted as usual, with maps and gps provided, although as ever with an off road event, some navigation will be required. We will have mechanics within the event, but again this will not be so easy to provde off road, so some degree of self sufficiency is required.

The routes have been planned to be challenging without the prospect of walking through mud for hours. Most of the route is hard surface of varying quality or close to it.

As always, the event has chip timing and feedstations along the way.

I've never even thought about a CX sportive. Has anyone ever done one? I can very quickly swap the tyres over on either CX bike (although the Tricross' triple chainset might be a better bet) but really have no idea what I would be letting myself in for (54 mile longest route)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I did an Evans MTB sportive and I don't recall anything on that that couldn't have been ridden on a CX. That was about 25 miles and felt like three times the distance! If that's 54 miles off road it could be a tough challenge to put it mildly!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ooooh, that sounds like fun. The longest off road ride I've done is about 85 miles on the London to Brighton off road. That was hard work, not least because I spent a few hours waiting for my mates at the top of every slight incline. I've told them I'm not waiting this year.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I got two replies off my CX cycling mate:

firstly
    the long ride isnt very long though to be fair!
    but yeah, I'm game!

then:
    I just looked at the altitude graph! Sweet Jesus!!!!

:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter