Wrapping Cinelli Neo Morphe Handlebars

jouxplan
jouxplan Posts: 147
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I have never liked wrapping my 'normal road shaped drop' handlebars (it seems to be a black art!), and so it was with some trepidation that I approached wrapping my new bars - lots of weird ergonomic shapes and a flat and enlarged top and things. It took me probably an hour to do one half of the bar satisfactorily :oops:

Anyway, I wondered whether others tend to wrap the whole of the tops on such bars? I thought it odd that Cinelli have their logo in a position that would get covered with tape, if you choose to wrap the tops as you would on 'standard' bars. Anyway, I went ahead and wrapped the lot, and got a decent result. I then went for a ride, and after stopping a few times to adjust the rotation of the bars in the stem, I decided that the enlarged flat top was now simply too enlarged, with all that tape!

So when I got home, I unwrapped the tape from the enlarged tops, cut it and stopped it just after the bend in the bars. This certainly made the bar look much sweeter (more white carbon to look at and a nice Cinelli logo :D ) and it also made the enlarged area of the bar that much smaller and it fit my hand much better.

My question is - is this what Cinelli intended, and do any of you wrap such bars like this (ie leave a lot of the tops unwrapped?)
Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
Trek Madone 5.9 2006
Trek Madone 5.2 2004
Cougar Custom 1995
Viscount Aerospace 1982
Some mountain bikes gathering dust

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,553
    i'd wrap those either to just around the corners so that your palms will be on tape, or a bit further up to the sides of the fat bits

fwiw i've got the ram 2 bars, i wrap them to just onto the corners...

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    sungod wrote:
    i'd wrap those either to just around the corners so that your palms will be on tape, or a bit further up to the sides of the fat bits

fwiw i've got the ram 2 bars, i wrap them to just onto the corners...

Cheers - yes, I've wrapped them up to the side of the fat bits, and it looks good.

Sweet photo of the Ram 2 bars :D

Do you find it gets slippery on the tops in the sweltering heat of summer?
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • I was planning to ask the same question a while back, for the cinelli ram bianca bars:

http://dutchandwolf.co.uk/content/produ ... 00x900.jpg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,553
    jouxplan wrote:
    Cheers - yes, I've wrapped them up to the side of the fat bits, and it looks good.

Sweet photo of the Ram 2 bars :D

Do you find it gets slippery on the tops in the sweltering heat of summer?

cycling gloves and mitts usually have grippy palms, i've never had any problems with slipping either in pouring rain or high heat, i reckon bare handed might be slippy in the heat
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny