Interesting David Walsh Interview

DeadCalm
DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
edited January 2014 in Pro race
I was going to add this to the Sky and David Walsh thread but decided that was probably best left alone.

http://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2013/04/24/david-walsh-interview2/
Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Cheers for posting is quite a good read.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Enjoyed reading that. I much prefer Walsh's attitude to that of Kimmage
  • danlikesbikes
    edited April 2013
    Have to say that he seems rather thorough at some things like asking for a list of all the medical kit what it does etc. Guess I've never really thought what an embedded journalist does & guess it makes sense and the team have nothing to hide.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Guess I've never really thought what an entrenched journalist does
    Haha..... I think you'll find that Walsh is an embedded journalist, it's Kimmage who is the entrenched one...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    bompington wrote:
    Haha..... I think you'll find that Walsh is an embedded journalist, it's Kimmage who is the entrenched one...
    Nicely put!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • danlikesbikes
    bompington wrote:

Thank you for the correction, think the thought behind my statement still stands.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Have to say that he seems rather thorough at some things like asking for a list of all the medical kit what it does etc. Guess I've never really thought what an embedded journalist does & guess it makes sense and the team have nothing to hide.

Well, in itself, I wonder what it would actually prove - assuming that all medicines are legal etc. If they are, what does it actually reveal?
  • danlikesbikes
    I think its more about him asking more than what he will see when/if given the green light as you have to assume that everything is legal or that a team would be pretty stupid to show him their illegal stash.

I'm sure that if he spends enough time with the team he will not just be asking questions of riders/staff in a typical interview type scenario. But will be going over everything (he is allowed access too) that the team do.
  • Richmond Racer
    I think its more about him asking more than what he will see when/if given the green light as you have to assume that everything is legal or that a team would be pretty stupid to show him their illegal stash.

I'm sure that if he spends enough time with the team he will not just be asking questions of riders/staff in a typical interview type scenario. But will be going over everything (he is allowed access too) that the team do.

Well, re-reading his first ST article on the invite from Brailsford, he wrote that when they met to discuss the latter's offer/invite, Brailsford said Walsh would have access to riders and staff at any time to ask any questions - riders, back room staff, coaches, docs, anyone. That he could join them on any camps and at any races - timing would be left up to Walsh. That if he saw, say, a team doc with a bag, he could follow the doc back to his room, knock on the door and ask to see the contents of the bag. Said that if a hotel was full where the team was staying, they would find room for him somehow, and that the docs had all agreed that Walsh could room with one of them, if it came to it.

Sounds pretty open access to me.
  • danlikesbikes

Well, reading his first ST article on the invite from Brailsford, he wrote that when they met to discuss the latter's offer/invite, Brailsford said Walsh would have access to all staff at any time to ask any questions - riders, back room staff, docs, anyone. That he could join them on any camps and at any races - when and where would be left up to Walsh. That if he saw, say, a team doc with a bag, he could follow the doc back to his room, knock on the door and ask to see the contents of the bag. Said that if a hotel was full where the team was staying, they would find room for him, and that the docs had all agreed that Walsh could room with one of them, if it came to it.

I've not read his first article, nor suggested that it was not open access. Was just commenting that I have only ever thought of it in terms of a journalist sets up an interview, or goes off to interview a team whilst they are away training. Never really consider how thorough journalists are when spending time with teams as per my original comment 'Guess I've never really thought what an embedded journalist does'
  • Richmond Racer
    edited April 2013

Well, reading his first ST article on the invite from Brailsford, he wrote that when they met to discuss the latter's offer/invite, Brailsford said Walsh would have access to all staff at any time to ask any questions - riders, back room staff, docs, anyone. That he could join them on any camps and at any races - when and where would be left up to Walsh. That if he saw, say, a team doc with a bag, he could follow the doc back to his room, knock on the door and ask to see the contents of the bag. Said that if a hotel was full where the team was staying, they would find room for him, and that the docs had all agreed that Walsh could room with one of them, if it came to it.

I've not read his first article, nor suggested that it was not open access. Was just commenting that I have only ever thought of it in terms of a journalist sets up an interview, or goes off to interview a team whilst they are away training. Never really consider how thorough journalists are when spending time with teams as per my original comment 'Guess I've never really thought what an embedded journalist does'

I know you weren't! I'm just on one today :wink:

Have you ever read this article by Lionel Birnie from his time embedded with Sky during the 2011 Dauphine?

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/a ... magic-bus/
  • danlikesbikes

Have you ever read this article by Lionel Birnie from his time embedded with Sky during the 2011 Dauphine?

Appreciate the heads up, not feeling too good today so sorry if I sounded a bit off. Just going to read it now thanks!
  • Have to say that he seems rather thorough at some things like asking for a list of all the medical kit what it does etc. Guess I've never really thought what an embedded journalist does & guess it makes sense and the team have nothing to hide.

Problem is Walsh said he'd ask to see the medical kit in May.

Never saw any follow up on this.

Maybe they wouldn't show him? :roll:

sv5ag6.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

If he'd asked and they had refused, he would have mentioned it. A list of vitamins and aspirins doesn't make an interesting story though. He asked about TUEs though - two in 18 months.

Just because something isn't reported, it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    Twitter: @RichN95

• Very good interview.

Kimmage could learn a lesson or two from Walsh about how to conduct himself, especially when it comes to handling an invite to slag off the other one.
  • RichN95 wrote:

I couldn't agree more :D
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    RichN95 wrote:

If he'd asked and they had refused, he would have mentioned it. A list of vitamins and aspirins doesn't make an interesting story though. He asked about TUEs though - two in 18 months.

Here we go again. Walsh interview concerning Sky? They must be doping. Give me strength. :roll: :roll: :roll:

• Well, reading his first ST article on the invite from Brailsford, he wrote that when they met to discuss the latter's offer/invite, Brailsford said Walsh would have access to all staff at any time to ask any questions - riders, back room staff, docs, anyone. That he could join them on any camps and at any races - when and where would be left up to Walsh. That if he saw, say, a team doc with a bag, he could follow the doc back to his room, knock on the door and ask to see the contents of the bag. Said that if a hotel was full where the team was staying, they would find room for him, and that the docs had all agreed that Walsh could room with one of them, if it came to it.

Have you ever read this article by Lionel

Birnie from his time embedded with Sky during the 2011 Dauphine?

Good article. This caught my eye:
    Brian Cookson, president of British Cycling and a board member of Tour Racing Limited, the company that owns Team Sky.

I assume he resigned from this position?

There's appears to be multiple conflicts going in with those appointments.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Brian Cookson, president of British Cycling and a board member of Tour Racing Limited, the company that owns Team Sky.

It's a little wrong. He was only on their Operating Board to represent the interests of British Cycling (due to their shared resources). He wasn't a director.

And yes he did stepped down from that when he announced his candidature for UCI President.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Have you ever read this article by Lionel

Birnie from his time embedded with Sky during the 2011 Dauphine?

IIRC the president of British Cycling has the seat on the board - not Cookson.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!