Riding Weight

lbalony
lbalony Posts: 301
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Right, bare with me. I have Fox's new CTD With IRD. When I open the app it ask me for my riders weight before giving me pressures for the fork & shock and then we measure sag. Depending on the sag it gives me two more figures.

Ok thats excellent as I have never had my suspension so tuned ever. But there is a problem; i am doing my riding weight with a 3 litre hydro pack of water, a bottle of lucozade in a drinks bottle and maybe some sachets. Now that weight reduces as I go round say on a 40km loop. So back time I have finished my riders weight is massively reduced.

What my question is, should i do my riders weight with out food,water? Or with.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    App? Serously?
    Set the sag with your normal riding weight, fine tune it on the trail, and stop overthinking it.
    And especially stop overapping it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Logic would state that you take your weight fully loaded inc gear & your weight with gear on the reduced load (sure its not 3 litres worth though) and use the middle number, I can't imagine that its going to differ that much

Mine for an all day ride is only 3Kg's full to empty so I'm only using 1.5 as the mid ground.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    3kg of water seems like a lot to me. But i would just take the sag for 1.5kg so it's a bit more even.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Until I have a pee or sweat it out that water is still knocking about.
  • bennett_346
    I don't think human bladders are 3L.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would rely on me and not an app for setting sag.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    If it's anything like the reccomended pressures on the fork leg it should be as good as garbage.
  • lbalony
    cooldad wrote:
    I would rely on me and not an app for setting sag.

I always have on previous bikes. i.e 25% sag for the gnarlier stuff and 20% for mor xc stuff. But I wandted to take advantage of the new Fox IRD. And I am glad I did as it turned out better. When I got the bike new I rode it as it came before started tinkering so had a point to gauge it at. The app gave me suggested rebound settings that I probably would never have tried at that setting. Happy with it.
  • lbalony
    I need 3 litres and a long 50-60 ride. About mid way was my idea but then I was thinking once I have drank and ate up my weight is going to be lighter so going to be a firmer. I have over thought it I know haha. Mid ways the best! :D
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I would just throw the numbers for your min and max weights into the app so see how much (if any) difference it makes. Hat will tell you of it is worth worrying about. After that, I would take the middle ground as a starting point and tweak on the trail as many others have said. These things are just a guide for starters, do what feels good!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's likely less than a 5% change, not really that significant in the grand scheme of things, you're not going to get to the end of a ride and find you can't compress your suspension!

3 litres of water and a bottle of Lucozade for 40k though? Really?
  • lbalony
    njee20 wrote:
    It's likely less than a 5% change, not really that significant in the grand scheme of things, you're not going to get to the end of a ride and find you can't compress your suspension!

3 litres of water and a bottle of Lucozade for 40k though? Really?

Yeah bottle of lucozade is what I start with for energy purposes. Then just sip water on way round. On a 40k i'll prob drink 1.5 of it but on a 60k i'll definately drink 3l aswell as my starter lucozade/powerade! Im a bit unfit