£1K on Ride to Work Scheme - Merida Lite 93

Nakoma
Nakoma Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I'm new to road riding and my aims are to improve my fitness with a low impact sport. Decided to get my first road bike on the ride to work scheme and went to my local shop. They recommended either the Merida Lite 91 or the 93. Given that its a good discount on the ride to work scheme I'll prob get the 93.

However i wanted to get some opinions on the bike first? I've searched the web but can't find much independant information or views on it.

Any one got any feedback if its a good spec for the money and good for someone who wants to enjoy riding?

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike/ ... de+Lite+93

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Good bikes, brand is now pushing in Europe . My lbs has started stocking them they seem good value.
    Thread below in the mtb section has more info. They make frames for splesh l believe.

viewtopic.php?p=15637351
  • Nakoma
    I didn't want to spend all of the £1K on the bike as I need to get helmet, pedals and shoes. Which for £150 I'll probably need to put in a little bit extra to get it all.

Thanks for the advice!

Is there anything else I should look at for around £850?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Nakoma wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm new to road riding and my aims are to improve my fitness with a low impact sport. Decided to get my first road bike on the ride to work scheme and went to my local shop. They recommended either the Merida Lite 91 or the 93. Given that its a good discount on the ride to work scheme I'll prob get the 93.

However i wanted to get some opinions on the bike first? I've searched the web but can't find much independant information or views on it.

Any one got any feedback if its a good spec for the money and good for someone who wants to enjoy riding?

Giant Defy 1 can be had for £899 with mostly 105 kit. Frame is nice on the Merida but the Giant frame is just as good and you get better kit for less money.
  • Nakoma
    Nakoma wrote:
    Hi All,

Giant Defy 1 can be had for £899 with mostly 105 kit. Frame is nice on the Merida but the Giant frame is just as good and you get better kit for less money.

Where are you finding it for £899 I've googled but only see it coming up at £999 which is over budget?
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    There are so many bikes out there at this price point, the best advice really is to try as many as you can. Make a shortlist of 2 or 3, then pick the one that you like the look of the best.
    Personally I can't stand the look of the Defy range, but lots of people love them.

I presume that your lbs only stocks Merida? Can you get to a few other shops near by that offer different brands?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Nakoma wrote:
    Nakoma wrote:
    Hi All,

Google chris's bikes and ye shall find. Not sure about discount on ctw scheme though.

Where are you finding it for £899 I've googled but only see it coming up at £999 which is over budget?