new cassette and/or chainrings??

meth_tical
meth_tical Posts: 67
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
I regularly use my road bike which is a fairly modest Carrera TDF ltd. I like to think I take good care of it in terms or maintenance and cleaning. After the recent bad weather I changed the chain to a brand new kmc 8 speed (to go on the standard Shimano 2300 group-set). Since the change when I put any force on the pedals the chain skips, to my untrained eye the chainrings teeth or cassette teeth do no look worn so what is the cause of this.
If it is the cassette or chainrings can anyone advise of a suitable replacement that is easy on the wallet.
Thanks

Comments

• djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    very unlikely to be the chain rings. Very likely to be the cassette. Cassettes are cheap (not as cheap as a new chain). Don't know any details on the number of teeth you already have - google is your friend.

Try "shimano 2300 road cassette"

Otherwise - have you checked that it's not just needing a tune up on the old indexing?
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    New cassette needed for sure. Chainrings will be fine. Replace like for like, I think they are sram 12-26 and not too costly

edit. Sram PG850 8 Speed Cassette(12-26, Silver) around 20 quid.
  • Thank you, I had a quick Google and bothchaninset and cassette came up as possible replacements but i'm glad that its just the cassette. I'll get on it and order 1 now. Thanks again zx6man and djm501.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I rotate 3 chains per cassette now as it thet wear to the chain. which I suppose ends up costing the same in the long run, but easier to a have clean ones ready if I need to swap them out.
  • Chains tend to be more accessible than specific cassettes so I suppose its not a bad way to go. Might try that way.
  • zx6man wrote:
    New cassette needed for sure. Chainrings will be fine. Replace like for like, I think they are sram 12-26 and not too costly

edit. Sram PG850 8 Speed Cassette(12-26, Silver) around 20 quid.

Thanks again zx6man, purchased the cassette from halfords and fitted at the weekend. bike works perfectly with no skipping.
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    Just about to say get the SRAM PG850, have it on mine atm. Works perfectly. Glad you got it :)