A bad experience that turned out OK

jimboyle1967
jimboyle1967 Posts: 24
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I wanted to share a bad commuting experience with you that actually turned out OK, and will maybe change my views on some bad drivers.

This morning on my usual daily commute (7 miles into Stirling), I was the victim of a very close and scary pass by a lorry. It came within about a foot of me while horsing along at way over the 30 mph limit. "Holy f***" or something to that effect was my response. Like most of us, I accept close passes as almost a normal occupational hazard, and normally it doesn't bother me too much. However, this one crossed the acceptability line, and really really scared me. The fate of that poor woman at Victoria recently has been playing on my mind quite a bit, and the risks posed by HGVs in particular has been occupying my thoughts. Anyway I got a note of the local building supplies firm who owned the lorry, but I didn't get the reg no. When I got into work I called them to sound off and to get them to speak to the driver. The woman who initially took my call was very apologetic and promised to speak to the branch manager, and to track the driver down from their deliveries schedule. 10 minutes later, I got a call from the branch manager to check that I was OK and to offer me his apologies for what he described as inexcusable driving. He said they had tracked the driver down in Perth and had spoken to him about it. Driver said that he was not aware of going too close to cyclists, but did not doubt that what I was saying did happen. The manager promised to have a more serious discussion with him when he returened to base. 20 minutes later the manager was on the phone again asking if I would mind if the driver spoke to me directly. Fair enough I thought, so he put him on. The guy could not have been more apologetic to me, and concerned that I was OK, and he accepted full responsibility for the incident. More crucially he stated that he would be much much more vigilant in future when passing cyclists, so job done as fas as I was concerned.

My point here is that they could not have handled this more sensitively as far as I am concerned, and I think they would be an example to others drivers. I could easily have got the brush off from them, and I must admit I was assuming that would happen when I first called. If the guy gives the next cyclists as few more feet of room the next time, then I don't think I could expect more. Well, a discount on the load of fencing materials that I am about to buy would not have been refused!

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    How nice of that company to take this matter seriously, unlike the company I read about a couple months ago that sent a sarcy email to one of guys here on bikeradar. I think it's great that the driver spoke to you directly and offed his apologies and that is one less person who disrespects cyclists, hopefully.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Somes times good news is just that & it not often that we hear of it.

It was nice of the company to take your concerns seriously & think that as the phoned you back say a lot about them as a company.

As @Azhar I too read the story of another BR member that sent and email & got a rather off response as I recall.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You should say which company it was so they get some good publicity.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Beatsons, Alloa branch.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It's great when professional drivers (especially of trucks) take their job seriously. I suspect lots of them do, but it's too easy for us to remember the bad experiences.

Does it sound like the guy simply didn't see you to start with? Might an unmissable rear light help? I really don't want to blame you, but drivers, like all humans, aren't perfect; seems to make sense to help them out.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • davis wrote:
    Might an unmissable rear light help? I really don't want to blame you,..........

Jeez davis, it sounds like you do want to blame me though, doesn't it?

Rear light, fluorescent yellow rucksack cover, bright blue top, Scottish milk bottle white legs. I'm not sure how I could have made myself more visible short of attaching a couple of runway landing lights to my bike. Curious why you are suggesting I might not have been visible. Were you there? Oh and by the way, the stretch of road was straight, and I was cycling west, so no dazzling sun. The whole point of my post was to give the driver/firm credit for owning up to a lack of concentration, as the driver himself put it. It is scary to think that as cyclists, even when we make ourselves visible, some drivers won't see us. If we were to dwell too much on that thought, a lot of bikes would never come out of garages ever again.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    davis wrote:
    Might an unmissable rear light help? I really don't want to blame you,..........

Rear light, fluorescent yellow rucksack cover, bright blue top, Scottish milk bottle white legs. I'm not sure how I could have made myself more visible short of attaching a couple of runway landing lights to my bike. Curious why you are suggesting I might not have been visible. Were you there? Oh and by the way, the stretch of road was straight, and I was cycling west, so no dazzling sun. The whole point of my post was to give the driver/firm credit for owning up to a lack of concentration, as the driver himself put it. It is scary to think that as cyclists, even when we make ourselves visible, some drivers won't see us. If we were to dwell too much on that thought, a lot of bikes would never come out of garages ever again.

TBF I don't think he was having a go & was only a question he asked not an accusation.

Good on you for the gear though as I too have a rear light that I put on my bike (well both of them) as noticed a massive difference on country roads when its grey and horrible. I am quite a conscious of other road users but noticed someone out on the back roads by us last year with a rear light on in the day & I spotted him about 1Km's out and since that day I have had mine on the bike for that reason.

For what its worth & I;m not having a go at you either I think that perhaps the driver just did not realise the combination of how close he was too you and the speed/tail wind caused by his vehicle. But like you said if he takes this on board for future trips then think you did the right thing in speaking to the company & you got a good response.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • davis
    davis wrote:

Wow. Now, sir, there's a reaction.

It does sound like you were definitely visible. From the OP it sounded like it was possible the bloke might not have seen you (mainly from the "not aware" quote); no-one (not even them cyclists!) can possibly see everything. I was simply wondering if there was anything you could do to reduce that risk (if that was the cause)
  • Fair enough davis, slight over-reaction on my part. I now realise you were making a helpful suggestion re my original post. Peace bro.
  • davis
    Cool.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Huggzz?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • davis
    I'd probably stretch to a fist-bump.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    davis wrote:
    I'd probably stretch to a crotch-bump.

I think a fist-bump will be enough for now, mate... :roll:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/