ADVICE - How do i Bleed my brakes ??

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited June 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

Just got a Carrera Kraken 2013 commuter seconhand -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab2

Think the brake levers are Clarke but my left one has no pressure (pic lever bellow).

What equipment do i need to refill/bleed ? What is the procedure ?? Do i have to take that black cover plate of brakelever ???

Also will any dot3/4 fluid be ok ?

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Find out what they actually are and download the manual and do wht that says
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Please describe exactly what is wrong (sorry but poor decsriptions are a common issue with brakes), it's very unlikley that 2013 brakes need a bleed and will be fixed by it, they either don't need bleeding or are shot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bilabonic
    They are Clarks Skeleton -

http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/h ... ulic-brake

I had the bike seconhand and noticed a seeping from one brake lever resevoir on caliper.

The bolts are also rounded BUT i have managed to remove them

Also inside the plastic seal/diaphram has split !!!!!!

Anybody know where i can get a spare from ? I have emailed Clarks but got no reply

Here is a pic -

SX_illustration_zps6344cf7c.jpg

I think the bolts are just 2.5mm/8mm torx so should be able to find some.

Anyone help....

Cheers
  • bilabonic
  • bilabonic
    Well i eventually got around to replacing the damaged cable (one complete unit). Perfect syring/cable tied, turned screw on caliper 1/4 turn, top off lever resevoir and horizontal and there was NO WAY i could pump fluid through ?

I undone the 10mm nut that connects the cable to the lever/res and it pumped through easily ??

Any ideas ? It is not going into the res for some reason ?

Cheers
  • nicklouse
    cable? sure you dont have mechanical brakes?

HOSE.

so what did it say in the manual about bleeding?

and what do you mean by
    Perfect syring/cable tied
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bilabonic
    Oh Hose, i followed the instructions exactly as the Clarks site, with the syringe/pipe fitting perfect (they are not a normal size).

There was no way i could push fluid through to the lever resevoir, when i cracked the connection at the lever it pumped through fine ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    bilabonic wrote:
    Any ideas ? It is not going into the res for some reason ?
    Probably because you've disconnected the hose from the reservoir.
    bilabonic wrote:
    I undone the 10mm nut that connects the cable to the lever/res and it pumped through easily ??
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    bilabonic wrote:
    Oh Hose, i followed the instructions exactly as the Clarks site, with the syringe/pipe fitting perfect (they are not a normal size).

There was no way i could push fluid through to the lever resevoir, when i cracked the connection at the lever it pumped through fine ?
    what instructions?

link to a document so I can see what you have been trying to follow or please type out exactly how you went about trying to bleed your brake:
  • bilabonic
    http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/h ... -to-videos

Also it states in the pdf instructions it states the fluid should come through the small bleed hole in the resevoir, it does not.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which one of the videos?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bilabonic
    Yes mate, it is a very simple procedure, you just put the brake lever horizontal (so res is level), attach tubing/syringe/fluid to caliper nipple, split it 1/4 of a turn and force fluid through.

There are to holes in the res that are visible, one shows the lever piston actuating and the other is just a small hole to allow fuid into res whilst bleeding.

I could not force ANY through, so split the line as it entered the lever and it flowed out fine ?

Cheers
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Make sure that the reach adjust and bite point allen key adjusters (parts A and B on your above diagram) are not all the way in/out. Adjust them with a 1.5mm allen key so they sit in the middle of their range as you cannot bleed the brake with either one wound all the way in. That could be the issue.
  • nicklouse
    bilabonic wrote:
    http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/html/service/page/how-to-videos

Also it states in the pdf instructions it states the fluid should come through the small bleed hole in the resevoir, it does not.
    please link to EXACTLY what you have been following reading then we can help. a general link is no help to us to help you. more so in this case which of the three videos is the problem happening?
  • bilabonic
    oxocube1 wrote:
    Make sure that the reach adjust and bite point allen key adjusters (parts A and B on your above diagram) are not all the way in/out. Adjust them with a 1.5mm allen key so they sit in the middle of their range as you cannot bleed the brake with either one wound all the way in. That could be the issue.

Yes, i have read that, the links are there, i can not see how i can see more specific, a b then c.

I just tried the front brake and it was a doddle, i have played with both the bite and reach but still can not get fluid through the rear ...Very odd.

It was like a mini fountain on the front...lol
  • bilabonic
    nicklouse wrote:
    bilabonic wrote:
    http://www.clarkscycles.com/index.php/html/service/page/how-to-videos

please link to EXACTLY what you have been following reading then we can help. a general link is no help to us to help you. more so in this case which of the three videos is the problem happening?

The link is not general it is the bleed process for my exact brakes split into 3 video's i linked A,b and C.
  • MatyG
    MatyG Posts: 9
    Hi. Did you sort this in the end?

The only way I an see where you have gone wrong.... Correct me if I'm wrong Lol, but if you watch the vids and follow exactly don't they remove the reseviour cap and adjust the 'front' lever in video A then in video B they connect the syringe to the 'rear' caliper? Then in video C they drain the fluid from the 'front' brake again? If it was done this way your right you would never be able to get the fluid thro.

Matt