Help me identify a creak/Click

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited May 2013 in The workshop
I have a noise coming from the crankset area.

It is like a clicking noise only when I am really applying preasure to the pedals, Any suggestions of the things I should be looking at.

Pedals (to tight)
Cleats (to tight)

Barings? (the BB and Crankset is about 3 months old and covered about 1000 miles I would of thought - maybe less)
Crankset is also new - replaced at the same time as the BB.

Only other thing I can think of is that I had the chain off for a clean (SRAM 1050) and replaced the power lock with a compatible KMC missing link

I'm running a mix of 105 and tiagra.

Thoughts?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Try tightening the BB, it worked for me anyway.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • CaMun
    CaMun Posts: 45
    What type of bottom bracket/pedals do you have?

I have external hollowtech cups and wrap the thread in PTFE tape twice, clean up the thread in the frame and use a quality grease before reinstalling the BB to the correct torque. Grease up the crank shaft and replace that.

I also wrap the thread of my pedals with PTFE tape and torque them in.

This get rid of most of my squeaks/creaks.

If it doesn't clean the chain/cassette. Noise can travel though the frame quite a bit.

If none of this works you may need to replace components.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CaMun wrote:
    What type of bottom bracket/pedals do you have?

I have external hollowtech cups and wrap the thread in PTFE tape twice, clean up the thread in the frame and use a quality grease before reinstalling the BB to the correct torque. Grease up the crank shaft and replace that.

I also wrap the thread of my pedals with PTFE tape and torque them in.

This get rid of most of my squeaks/creaks.

If it doesn't clean the chain/cassette. Noise can travel though the frame quite a bit.

If none of this works you may need to replace components.

HT II BB and Crank and R540 pedals, I plan on stripping it this weekend so will have a look.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • FWIW I had a clicking noise which also manifested itself when pushing hard on the right pedal, generally only on a certain location in the crank turn. Couldn't recreate by spinning the cranks without actually applying the pressure you do when riding. With time it got worse, more clicking from drive side then left side too, eventually relatively small amount of pressure would cause a lot of clicks while riding... always very annoying but I didn't have the tools or know how to troubleshoot (but didn't want to bring to a bike shop, wanted to fix myself). Eventually I also determined it was coming from the BB.

Last weekend I finally bought some tools and opened everything up, well it was a cartridge rather than HT II type but either way, noticed when undoing that the left side cup was very easy to undo so was probably that, put it all back together after cleaning etc and the noise is gone. So I assume it will indeed be your BB.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pedals - tighten to crank arms
    Pedals - tighten the cleat release
    Cranks arms - check these are tight (no play)
    Bottom bracket - no play?

Other things - loose spokes (clicking when flexing)
    Damaged hubs (clicking when pressured)
  • Naugas
    Naugas Posts: 10
    Loose chainring bolts often gives the symptom you describe. Pedal bearings can also be a problem.