Breaking Spokes

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited May 2013 in The workshop
I've got an original Carrera Subway which I use in the winter. This year I have broken 3 spokes on the rear wheel in as many rides.

The question is if I keep replacing spokes at this rate I will spend more than the bike is worth (let alone the wheel).

Would I be better off replacing the wheel and if so, any recommendations? I just want a strong wheel that can take a 26 x 1.5 tyre with minimal cost. I weigh about 80Kg (should be about 72Kg late this year :D )

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    The rule of thumb I've heard is if you break 3 spokes in a wheel there's something not right with it.

My third (maybe 4th) broke last weekend so I had it rebuilt by my LBS - but that was £75 including spokes which was £20 cheaper than a new wheel :roll:

Has your chain ever come off the biggest cog and damaged the spokes?
  • Neil_aky
    No, chain has never come off, but I think the wheel is probably worth a lot less than £75 - it the wheel which came with the bike. The bike is sound but obviously the wheels and a few other components are where the money is saved - still I've had it for 6 years but only started doing serious miles last summer.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The rule of thumb I've heard is if you break 3 spokes in a wheel there's something not right with it.

My third (maybe 4th) broke last weekend so I had it rebuilt by my LBS - but that was £75 including spokes which was £20 cheaper than a new wheel :roll:

Expensive spokes? Seems a lot that. I have a pair of commute wheels handbuilt by Spa Cycles. That was about £160 a pair so you effectively paid the same amount for the spokes replacing as I did for an entire new wheel. It seems a lot.

In any case, if you buy the spokes, remove the old spoke and relace the wheel yourself, you'll probably find the LBS won't charge much to true and tension your efforts.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spokes should be costing less than £1 each, or are you paying for fitting as well?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neil_aky
    I am paying for the fitting as well - been thinking about just diving in and replacing myself...

Any advice? How difficult is it to replace and get the wheel true / spokes tensioned correctly?

Thanks in advance.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I had a similar problem with a subway a couple of years ago. Spokes started braking. On inspection I realised the spokes were of a very poor quality and they simply went rusty. I got a new wheelset.

You could have the them rebuilt with good spokes. You might be looking at £1 per spoke and about £30 - £40 to rebuild them.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Double posting - sorry
  • Neil_aky
    I'll take a closer look at the weekend and probably just replace the wheels...

Good excuse to spend money on a bike!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Spokes should be costing less than £1 each, or are you paying for fitting as well?

Really, where do you get your's from? the spoke for the R500 (see previous thread) cost me £3.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Depends on the spoke, for something like a formula (plain gauge 2mm) I've paid from 50p to £1 each (2 LBS and Halfords), for about £1.50 a spoke (in bulk buy) you can get DT swiss DB 2.0/1.8/2.0....

Replacing a single spoke is really easy, once it's in, tension to the same 'ping sound' as the others and the wheel will be just about true, tweak it and it's neighbours if it's not. Tools - spoke key and for the rear chain whip and cassette tool.

Good excuse to upgrade though - yes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Naugas
    Naugas Posts: 10
    Most times the spoke tension is too low if spokes starting to break. In my experience even cheapo stainless spokes are of high quality nowadays. Plain steel is another story, only the lowest quality bikes have them.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    You can get excellent quality spokes for 25-30 p each, Alpina for instance... problem is you won't find a retailer that gives you that price on single spokes... you need to place a minimum order

If you need single spokes, just ask... I have probably around 200 of them of various sizes and brands, leftovers from other jobs
    left the forum March 2023