Newbie - Gear Set Up Help

nealstevo
nealstevo Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in The workshop
Hey everyone - Ive had a Trek 7.5 hybrid for 3 years and its suddenly not going onto the big ring at the front when I try to change gear. I'm trying to learn how to service my bikes myself - can anyone advise what I need to adjust to make the upshifts easier?

I've tried twiddling with the H and L screws without really knowing what I'm doing.

Prob a stupid question......but if you dont ask you done learn!

Ta

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Usually loosening the H (high stop) will allow easier up shifting but it may be cable stretch.

Put the bike o the the small ring.
    Detach the cable, set the L (low stop)
    Attach the cable taking up the slack
    Change up through the rings
    Set the H to prevent the chain going to far but allowing it the shift.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Unless the frame has stretched or the rings have changed shape, it's probably not necessary to start adjusting H & L limit screws, not unless you're very clear about what you're doing. It won't matter so much on the front but at the back you'll increase the chances of the mech ploughing into the spokes.

If it's no longer changing like it did, it probably needs nothing more than a good clean, lube and setting up again. Take a photo of the mech so that you can gauge its position when you come to put it back; take it it off, wash it in soapy water, dry it then lube all the moving parts with whatever you like - oil, GT85, Teflon squirty lube, Wet Lube, Dry Lube; anything (edit - not WD40).

If you can get the cable out do so, chuck it away and buy another one. They're only 50p or something. Before you go to the shop to buy a new cable, position the outer cable from the shifter to the frame so that it's pointing upwards, then drip a load of oil down it to soak in while you're gone.

Fit cable, fit mech to frame lining it up as per photo (iPads are great for this sort of thing), fit the cable and with the chain on the smaller ring and making sure that the indexing at the lever end is as far as it can go (pull the cable whilst changing down), refit the cable. If you hadn't faffed about with the H & L screws it would be bang on now save for a bit of adjustment at the in-line barrel, so you'll have to do a bit of trial & error to get it right.

That'll work.
  • Naugas
    Naugas Posts: 10
    All you have to do, probably, is to tighten the wire a bit with the barrel adjuster. Cleaning and lubing never hurts though... Well, that is if you are sure to get it together again afterwards...