Tubeless 10 nail test!

JayElstone
JayElstone Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone just seen this video by the guys at Trek store Milton Keynes if you questioning how well tubeless would work on a road bike this may help!

10 nails! lol

https://www.facebook.com/TrekMK?ref=hl

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    You just have to fill in enough sealant... you can seal tubes and you can seal tubulars, it is not a tubeless prerogative.
    I really can't get excited about this technology... maybe because punctures are not such a big hassle for me, certainly not enough to rush for a tyre that takes three hours to fit properly on the rim and then fingers crossed...
    I am really unconvinced and skeptical and would probably never go anywhere near a Bontrager tyre anyway... or anything else that says Bontrager on
    left the forum March 2023
  • This used the recommended amount of sealant which is about 50ml + I personally fitted this tyre with no levers and no hassle in about the same time as a normal tyre, when you know what your doing its relatively simple couple that with the unconditional gurantee bontrager give which lets you use the tyre for 30 days and if you dont like it you can bring it back this applies across the whole range of products. Now tell me another brand that has that much confidence in its own product along with the people who are selling it!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    it's a marketing gimmick, one nail or ten makes no difference

they chose a conveniently small, pointy, smooth, non-slashing, non-cutting nail, given the elasticity of the tyre i doubt there's any difference between the hole such a nail makes and the hole a fine needle would make, not so impressive that it seals such a pinprick

now, if they'd stabbed it with the tip of a stiletto, the resulting cut would be closer to what often happens in the real world, where cuts a few mm long can be made by a flint or glass, if it sealed ten of those i might even be impressed

but of course they didn't, i suspect the reason is that the resulting video wouldn't have been much use as a marketing tool, it probably would've been more entertaining though, seeing the mechanic sprayed with sealant from the rapidly deflating tyre
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    JayElstone wrote:
    This used the recommended amount of sealant which is about 50ml + I personally fitted this tyre with no levers and no hassle in about the same time as a normal tyre, when you know what your doing its relatively simple couple that with the unconditional gurantee bontrager give which lets you use the tyre for 30 days and if you dont like it you can bring it back this applies across the whole range of products. Now tell me another brand that has that much confidence in its own product along with the people who are selling it!

I am particularly skeptical of a product that needs to offer such a guarantee in order to sell. I think there is a reason why the market for tubeless is still so small
    left the forum March 2023
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    JayElstone wrote:
    This used the recommended amount of sealant which is about 50ml + I personally fitted this tyre with no levers and no hassle in about the same time as a normal tyre, when you know what your doing its relatively simple couple that with the unconditional gurantee bontrager give which lets you use the tyre for 30 days and if you dont like it you can bring it back this applies across the whole range of products. Now tell me another brand that has that much confidence in its own product along with the people who are selling it!

Is this an advert then? Why is it in Road buying advice, rather than being a product placement?