"Own brand" bikes

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,117
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
The likes of Evans do their own brand stuff - Pinnacle, and are distributor for Jamis. The prices are keen, but are the bikes any good? I'm not a label snob, so if I can save a few bob and get a quality ride for less...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Bikes will become the new home computers.
    You will start to see more and more home made,cheap bikes available on home builders with normal business running costs.
    It happened to computers in the 2000's
    Living MY dream.
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    It's probably to big a question, as no doubt there will be good and bad, just as there is variation in the branded stuff.

My LBS is Echelon at Pershore, they sell Echelon branded bikes and you see loads of them locally on the roads, and are well reviewed.
    Ridley Orion
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I got a Jamis road bike last August, ridden it on the commute and a few sportive s since then. No issues with the bike, thoroughly enjoying it, even through the weather we've had since then.
  • Pinnacle bikes usually get pretty well reviewed and jamis is a big us manufacturer so I doubt either of these wwould be bad choices if they fit you, your budget and the type of riding you want to do :-)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here in the states the likes of Performance and Nashbar sell bikes with their name on them. You would do well to remember that these bikes were not made in a Nashbar or Performance factory. They are simply frames coming from one of a bunch of frame builders all over the world who will put even your name on one if you order enouigh of them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For best value, look at the likes of Planet-X or Ribble - they source direct and sell direct and sell in enough volume to be able to get good deals - better value than anything from Evans IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Some of the "own brand" frames are stock products of taiwanese frame factories, re-labled. Some are build to specifications for the brand.
    Check out Maxway
  • I've bought 3 Ribble bikes in the last couple of years, pleased with all of them. Don't know how they do them for the price really, plus you can have what bars, stem etc what you want. Full groupset too, no billy no brand brakes either!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Pinnacle bikes usually get pretty well reviewed and jamis is a big us manufacturer so I doubt either of these wwould be bad choices if they fit you, your budget and the type of riding you want to do :-)

It may have been a one off but I was in a bike shop recently and a guy came in with his 7 month old Jamis and his rear wheel was absolutely shot.

Really badly buckled and the spokes were all really really loose.

That put me off that brand.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • todvide
    todvide Posts: 1
    yeah,think so,stem etc what you want. Full groupset too, no billy no brand brakes either!thanks 12.gif