smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Campagnolo Athena.

Just a thought
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    I'm comfortable maintaining shimano.
  • smoggysteve
    If money isnt an issue then its 105 every time.
  • mcowan77
    It's a choice between lighter wheels or 105

It's a ribble build
  • smoggysteve
    In that case, go for better wheels first. gears only matter when you change em, wheels are always in use.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Lighter wheels and tiagra then. tiagra perform very well indeed. Of course Veloce is a similar price and lighter than Tiagra or 105.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mcowan77
    Fulcrum 5s ok?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    You might want to provide more detail so that people can give more meaningful replies. Th answer to your first question is clearly 105, since this is a better groupset than Tiagra, but then you let on that getting 105 means settling for cheaper wheels, which changes the question. Similarly, no one can say whether Fulrum 5s will suit unless they know what you're going to be using them for or what the other options are. Sorry if this appears rude, but I just wanted to help you get the most out of the forum.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Apex
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mcowan77
    Hi

Ill be using the bike for mixture if club rides, maybe a wee bit if racing ( if i get into it)
    Fancy trying a sportive aswell...

My dillema is that im going to order a ribble bike

With the 105 id need to compromise and take the stock wheels (rohdi's)

If i go fir tiagra i can afford to upgrade the wheels

Im 6"1 and 95k
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    While I understand what folks say about go for the better wheels, if I was you (and based on the limited info you give) I would actually go with the better groupset (105) and have the stock wheels.

I my experience (but haven't studied the Ribble web site prices on made up bikes) the cheapest way of getting a groupset is usually with the bike rather than separately. Also if you find in a cople of months cycling is for you and you want to spend a bit more cash then a wheel upgrade is far simpler than a groupset upgrade. As bonus you wold then have the stock wheels for training/winter etc and the upgrade wheels for racing/summer etc.

If you do it the other way around then you will have a Tiagra groupset to sell, or put in a drawer; and just one set up for all year round.

Just a few thoughts, all the best in your decision making.

SV
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra on my bikes. Very little in it, the 10sp Tiagra is good enough apart from the cassette I reckon. So in your situation go for the Tiagra, get better wheels and when the cassette wears out replace it with 105.
  • smoggysteve
    Sir Velo wrote:
    While I understand what folks say about go for the better wheels, if I was you (and based on the limited info you give) I would actually go with the better groupset (105) and have the stock wheels.

I my experience (but haven't studied the Ribble web site prices on made up bikes) the cheapest way of getting a groupset is usually with the bike rather than separately. Also if you find in a cople of months cycling is for you and you want to spend a bit more cash then a wheel upgrade is far simpler than a groupset upgrade. As bonus you wold then have the stock wheels for training/winter etc and the upgrade wheels for racing/summer etc.

If you do it the other way around then you will have a Tiagra groupset to sell, or put in a drawer; and just one set up for all year round.

Just a few thoughts, all the best in your decision making.

SV

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tiagra groupset. You could happily keep it on your Ribble for ever and never change it unless you really want to be a weight weeny. Even with Tiagra you can still put 105 (or SRAM) components on various areas without changing the whole groupset job lot. Wheels on the other hand will offer you a better ride and performance if you get better than the stock set you would be stuck with if you decided to get the 105 gp set. It makes more sense to get better wheels from the start IMO.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm wanting to upgrade my 2300 groupset - mostly because of the shifters - I like/want/need the internal cable routing from the shifters - so that's going to mean going 105's. I have Tiagra 9 speed on the other bike and I see no mechanical reason to change it. It doesn't have internal gear cable routing though...

Wheels wheels wheels - they're easy to replace/upgrade - so I think you need to decide if the aesthetics of the tiagra setup is ok for you or if you'd prefer the hidden cabling of the 105. If the latter then you'll just need to save your pennies up for some new wheels in a few months.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'd go for 105 since the shifters are much tidier with internal/under-tape cable routing.

You can always upgrade the wheels at a later date.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Also, on Ribbles site try spec'ing the bike using the Bike Builder and Special Edition Bikes tab. I managed to build the same spec bike for cheaper using one of those tabs. Sorry, can't recall which one was the cheaper one but the price difference was around £70. This was for a R872. (I *think* it was the special edition bikes tab that was cheaper).

I personally would go with the 105 group set (I don't care what anyone says, it's noticeably better than Tiagra) and the stock wheels. Sell the wheels and use them to fund some hand built ones. No offense but 95kgs may be too heavy for factory built wheels and you *could* end up with some spoke issues. Please don't take that the wrong way.

The handbuilt route will probs work out cheaper than an equivalent factory built option meaning you can have some new wheels and 105 :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • mcowan77
    Ribble won't allow me to top up my cyclescheme voucher so it looks lie it will have to be tiagra
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I'd go for 105 since the shifters are much tidier with internal/under-tape cable routing.

You can always upgrade the wheels at a later date.

very much this for me. Get the stock wheels and keep them for winter/training and buy yourself some fulcrum 5s for less than £200 and have the best of both worlds. The washing line gear cables piss me off on mine.