Best tablet devices

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited June 2013 in The hub
Just ordered myself a brand new tablet from google. I'm outraged by their incredibly slow processing of this order. Apparently it'll be processed within 3-5 days, and then will be shipped 2 days after that. Why have I paid £9.99 for delivery? Silly error by me..

Anyway, what tablet devices do you use and what would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Bought the missus a Google Nexus 7 last week. The 32gb one. Ordered it from Currys online, went and picked it up, took 1 hr and was free. Plus, I got 8% off because I used my reloadable card thingy with cashback watsit. Quids in!

It's actually a very nice little tablet. Really nice screen on it, quick to boot up, fast enough for browsing and watching movies etc, especially in comparison to her old Archos somethingorother (similar cheap tablet).

Only downside with a Nexus is the lack of a micro SD port. I assume it's to encourage you to use cloud type services. But I like my old SD cards :(

Don't own an iPad, but we use them at work. To be fair, they're still the daddy imho, but you don't half pay for it!

#fukinHOWMUCH!!!
  • apple tablets are stuck on the memory size you buy and as above, you dont half pay the premium for it! ive a cheapy flytouch3 superpad2 that ive had for 2 years or so, it only cost me £100 and being honest, i wouldnt want to spend any ore on it!! but it is expandable on memory and runs most the things you need too, web browsing is alright, you tube etc all work,
    the wife got a samsung galaxy tab with her new phone and have to say, its a cracking little device, super smooth, quick boot up, great screen etc.
    were not an apple household and dont own any apple products, mostly down to me as i dont beleive they are particularly VFM, the app store may have more apps, but it also has a lot more duplicate apps in it!! that and i much like the ability to pop the memory card in the card reader and move things over to the tablets from the computer (music, documents etc.) than have to use the apple software,

the samsung, htc (android) tablets are some Great devices to use!! often overlooked for the famous one, but more often far better specced!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Does anyone rate the Kindle Fire HD. Cant decide between it and the Google tablet. Same price and performance by the look of them but not sure I want to be tied to Amazons way of doing things.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Kindle is behind the Nexus in terms of screen quality and especially procesing power.

Like the nexus 7, and i would avoid apple until they sort out there OS which is a mile behind android currently.
  • stubs
    Kindle is behind the Nexus in terms of screen quality and especially procesing power.

Like the nexus 7, and i would avoid apple until they sort out there OS which is a mile behind android currently.

Think its the Nexus then. Had a play with one this morning and as soon as payday arrives its gadget time.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Nexus unless you need expandable storage - in which case I'd go with one of the Samsung Galaxy tabs.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Got a samsung galaxy tab 2 and its great for general web mooching, videos, email etc. There's odd websites which don't work properly on it, but for the main, its great.
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    For their birthdays recently my two daughters have a Galaxy tab 2 and an I-Pad between them.To be honest i cannot find any noticeable difference between the two apart from Apple robbing me of an extra £150 for the name.My girls choice not mine.

Reviews have the Nexus 7 as the best in the 7 inch group whereas the Samsung Galaxy and I-pad share the 10 inch market.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • stubs
    I got a Galaxy7 inch tab2 for 145 pounds from Tesco. Loving it so far so easy to use and feels quality
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Not an apple person, which is a bit of a pain as all work handsets are apple and we've got an ipad for on call gubbins as well. Used it the first week and never touched it since - I'll stick with laptop and personal mobile (android) as I can actually use them properly. Something about iOS just confounds me, though the screen and feel of the iPad is certainly nice.

Me and Sis got the old girl a Nexus 7 for chrimbo and she absolutely loves it. Genuinely astonished by this as she's a total technophobe and had endless grief with her old laptop, but after a few hours spent with her after xmas she's really taken to the NExus. Uses the kindle app on there to read ebooks, she's got all her music and email on there and uses it for web browsing and amazon etc.

I was pretty impressed with it, but then I've been on android for yonks now so it's pretty much like using a bigger version of my phone, which is fine by me.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Just got an iPad mini against all my principles. I love it though.

I was torn between the Nexus 7, Archos 8 Titanium and the iPad and although I'm an Android phone user through and through I was won over by the iPad.

Android's OS advantages aren't an issue on a tablet IMO, I don't want widgets on something that's not connected to the internet full time, I just want something stable with a decent screen and good battery life. I prefer the 4:3 format of the archos and ipads to the widescreen 7inchers for web browsing and altough the resolution on the ipad mini is a bit shitty, overall it came out on top.

Got garageband for it the other day, I can record my electric drums and guitar through a line in direct to the ipad. It's little things like that where Apple have the advantage, decent accesories for android devices are a bit thin on the ground still.

Still hate the iphone though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I have the Nexus 7, great little thing. I use Google for pretty much everything, Gmail, Googledrive etc, and this syncs everything up nicely.

I have to work with Apple a lot through work, and they're barstewards. Complete and utter barstewards with a barsteward attitude to how the company works. For this reason, I will never own an iPhone or iPad.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    Got the original iPad and haven't found a reason to upgrade it other than vanity - so haven't bothered
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a google nexus 7 its pretty decent
  • neilrosser
    neilrosser Posts: 236
    ASUS MeMo Pad Smart.... great bit of kit :D
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    I had a 2nd interview today at a job where I'd be QA and Product testing various Android tablets...I spent the whole day comparing them to the performance of the iPad and surface in a complete and utter unbias fashion, not sure they were amused tbh

anyway, not relevant in the slightest...just had to tell somebody :P
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    stubs wrote:
    Does anyone rate the Kindle Fire HD. Cant decide between it and the Google tablet. Same price and performance by the look of them but not sure I want to be tied to Amazons way of doing things.
    I bought my mum a Fire HD for crimbo, and I've used it occasionally.
    It's quite neat, particularly if you use Amazon's music and video services a lot.
    Great sound on it.
    But, like all Android tablets I've tried, it feels a little asthmatic when compared to an iPad.
    For browsing, checking emails, and general entertainment though, it's ace.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    But, like all Android tablets I've tried, it feels a little asthmatic when compared to an iPad.
    What do you mean by asthmatic? Do you mean slower, or just not as smooth? I don't have an iPad, but my old housemate did, and we found they were pretty much the same thing, just one had an apple on the back, mine has Nexus
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What do you mean by asthmatic? Do you mean slower, or just not as smooth? I don't have an iPad, but my old housemate did, and we found they were pretty much the same thing, just one had an apple on the back, mine has Nexus
    I don't know if it's a speed thing, or if iOS is just smoother. Any android tablet I've used stutters a bit, whereas the overall iPad experience is just fluid, less interrupted, and less jittery.
    I've not used all Android tablets, and I don't even know what particular models I've fiddled with, and likewise, I don't know what generation of iPad I've used.
  • Thewaylander
    it is very dependant on the Android tablet.

Alot of the cheaper ones use single/duel core set up and low clock speeds. Nexus 7 has a quad core 1.5ghz and is really zippy, my experience with comparing the two is using the nexus 7 which is very smooth and android at the moment is just leaps and bounds ahead of IOS but we will see when apple releases number 7.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You really think Android is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS?
    I really don't like Android, to be honest. But then again, I diskile iOS too.
    And Win8 is woefully immature, which leaves us with...
    hmm.
  • Thewaylander
    edited June 2013
    Well when one of Apples own lead engineer admitted it was I tend think so yes.

Thats why there is such a huge push with in Apple currently to sort out IOS 7

another engineers name is steve wozniak pretty popular dude co founder i think has spoken about it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well when one of Apples own lead engineer admitted it was I tend think so yes.

Thats why there is such a huge push with in Apple currently to sort out IOS 7
    All they've really done is changed the visuals. And of course they're going to tell everyone that the old system is vastly inferior, since they're now going to try and sell iOS7.

Let me rephrase the question then. What do you do in android, that can't be done in iOS? (bear in mind I don't care for either system, I don't have any allegiances)
  • Thewaylander
    it's mostly for me personally about interface issue rather than having a terrible screen of buttons.

But also actual mutlitasking so that saves a bit of time, but from a developers point of veiw androids ability to scale apps for various resolutions is a blessing.

But these comments about IOS came way last year not long after IOS6 landed.

I'm interested in androids possible fixed to its fragmentation which its biggest issue faced at the moment.