Noob's new bike help

lee200
lee200 Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm new to mountain biking and fancy giving it a go. Actually, my son has just got a new bike and it's much nicer than anything I've ever owned and I know he'd love to do some trails, so it looks like I'll have to get a new bike too. That's my excuse anyway. My budget is in the region of £500. I don't really want to spend any more until I get into the sport more and this seems like the right amount of money for an entry level bike. Anyway I don't think the wife will let me spend any more! I've done some research and narrowed it down to these two:

Voodoo Hoodoo £449 with discount
Rockrider 8.1 £550

I'm 6'3'' and weigh 16 stone. This thread seems to suggest the Voodoo would be better for someone of my build. Am I missing anything in the comparison of these two bikes? Is the Rockrider worth £100 more or are there other bikes I should consider?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tough choice, the Voodoo is a serious deal at that price, but I'd still be tempted by the Rockrider. Nice fork, decent bits.
    Good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    On paper the rockrider is the better specified choice, but the head angle is much steeper and the fork is shorter.

I would say that the hoodoo is a better beginners bike as it will give you more confidence over technical trails and anything remotely downhill.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Voodoo is air forked and the spring rate can be adjusted for your weight, the RR is coil, on that basis I'd suggest in this case the Voodooo would suite you better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lee200
    lee200 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the pointers guys. Hoodoo it is then I think :D BTW, love the fact your called the beginner with over 10000 posts
  • gavsman
    gavsman Posts: 9
    The RR does have an adjustable Air Fork as well.
  • The Rookie
    No it doesn't.....
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... 68695.html

Third pic' in, preload adjuster, not air valve.

The username is a play on my normal username which was already taken on here (not used for 6 years though darn it!).....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    But it does have ''bounce adjustment''
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Changed colour or perhaps I need an eyetest
    http://www.btwin.com/en/cross-country-m ... ct-advices

I vote for the Rockrider 8.1
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    The username is a play on my normal username which was already taken on here (not used for 6 years though darn it!).....

Tad off topic but what's your normal username? I think the beginner is a cool username, I would of chosen that anyway.
  • The Rookie
    Usual username is 'The Rookie' as 'Rookie' is my nickname.....