Rigid frame

Triban Man
Triban Man Posts: 35
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
I have a Trek 3500 (2009 model) mountain bike that I absolutely love. It has a rigid frame and I have seen some rather sniffy comments online saying it should not be taken off road. Despite these warnings, it has always served me well, including at Glentress and Innerleithen. But I have started doing a lot more of this kind of riding recently and was wondering what advantages I would get from upgrading to something with suspension and disc brakes.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to say. More control with forks over the rough stuff, maybe better stopping.
  • More speed & control, more comfort but ride what you like to ride, that's the important part.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you enjoy it, do it, I know plenty of people who ride rigid, the 0.5-1.5Kg weight saving can go a long way to making up for the lack of suspension!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks people. Food for thought.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Whilst you're having fun don't bother changing it just because someone on the internet told you to. All mountain bikes used to be like that.
  • ga-rat
    ga-rat Posts: 29
    Could you keep it rigid and add disc brakes?

In muddy conditions you really can't beat disc brakes, still summer is coming, well hopefully, :lol: conditions will be just dusty and no sign of mud.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A rigid bike teaches you to ride smooth and carefully select your lines - fit a carbon fork with room for a fat front tyre and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..