Recreational mounting biking

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi some of you may know me.

im looking to do some mountain biking for fun im not going to go mental crazy and ride down mount Everest on it. maybe thou a few forest couple of parks and some trails nothing hard-core. as most of you know or might guest by my past rambling's im not exactly rich. so I was browsing decathlon site and came across this bike I know its not much but it seems okay to me and its cheap which is most important.

jus a couple of questions which I be able to install disc brakes in the future.
if I decided I wanna go cycle down a mountain is there room for upgrades ?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-51 ... nformation

thank you

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see if the frame has disc mounts. The forks do, but you'd need brakes and new wheels, so not worth it IMO.
    At some point you need to stop starting threads and buy something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    One of the photos shows the back end of the bike, and it has no discs mounts that I can see.
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    Can't see if the frame has disc mounts. The forks do, but you'd need brakes and new wheels, so not worth it IMO.
    At some point you need to stop starting threads and buy something.

will be buying on 12th april as a early birthday present for myself. this looks like the best quality by far for my price range
  • Anonymous
    One of the photos shows the back end of the bike, and it has no discs mounts that I can see.

I see two holes in the back of the frame not the side the gears are mounted on if you get my meaning try photo shop it for people
  • Anonymous
    2pWYSbW.jpg I presume front disc mounts?

PIDFPrY.jpg confused possible rear disc mounts?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still going to cost you more than the bike is worth to convert, even if they are.
    The rest of the bits are pretty dire as well. Steel bars etc.
    Not worth upgrading IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    Still going to cost you more than the bike is worth to convert, even if they are.
    The rest of the bits are pretty dire as well. Steel bars etc.
    Not worth upgrading IMO.

not really considering its £159.99 brand new in box

probably convert on the cheap using ebay and other second hand outlets.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Wheels aren't disc.

Seriously, find the extra to get the better rockrider.
  • Anonymous
    Wheels aren't disc.

Seriously, find the extra to get the better rockrider.

there is no extra really this looks nice for the price I think
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    If your budget is this low you could consider second hand and hold maybe 40 quid in reserve incase it needs a service.. ebay search the big brand bikes and see what crops up - as per usual beware anything that looks too good to be true - such as high end bikes or odd requests for meeting and pick ups.. It mihgt bring the big brands budget bikes into your reach and even though its second hand the kit will be better than the decathalon bike which is very basic.
  • Anonymous
    Tom Barton wrote:
    If your budget is this low you could consider second hand and hold maybe 40 quid in reserve incase it needs a service.. ebay search the big brand bikes and see what crops up - as per usual beware anything that looks too good to be true - such as high end bikes or odd requests for meeting and pick ups.. It mihgt bring the big brands budget bikes into your reach and even though its second hand the kit will be better than the decathalon bike which is very basic.

im gonna check the various second hand site's when I get payed but it would have to be close enough for me to pick up.

you never know I might get something better but it would have to be almost new quality
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a good bike for the money. As it is. Not for upgrading. Will cost a LOT to put discs on it, not worth it.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    It's a good bike for the money. As it is. Not for upgrading. Will cost a LOT to put discs on it, not worth it.

yh it will need new wheels are new disc brakes . I can possibly do that over time depending if it really needs it as for the bike it looks good for the money and probably the one I will end up buying if I don't find anything else new for my budget

thanks for feedback
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your budget? It was £300 in another post!
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:

it was originally £300 but other more important expense's popped up in this month list of things to buy im going for a interview about a college course I want to do to improve my job prospects and need to visit my hairdresser and buy nice new clothes so I can make a good impression as space on the course is limited and I want to look like I mean business. :D

sorry if it confusing I only found out that I had been offered a interview late last week.

im budgeting around £175 max for bike including postage (atm could change depending on cost of clothes)
    around £110 for clothes shirt, trousers, cuff links etc.
    around £15 for hair dresser
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    supersonic wrote:

im budgeting around £175 max for bike including postage (atm could change depending on cost of clothes)

Is this a wind up?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:

Is this a wind up?

what bit trips you up sport?

if it clothes part this may help.

clothes plural of clothes (Noun)

Noun

1.Items worn to cover the body.

Synonyms

clothing - dress - apparel - raiment - wear - garb

I cant see how I can be any more clear on the bike there's a bike a for £159.99 im going to buy it more then likely

or are you confused by the concept of hairdressers

hairdressers plural of hair·dress·er

Noun

A person who cuts and styles hair as an occupation. usually in return for payment

please get back to me so I can instruct you in how to reply appropriately

thank you.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Your budget and expectations change so rapidly that you are completely wasting peoples time. However, I'm sure there's a cuff links forum somewhere where you can get buying advice too.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    Your budget and expectations change so rapidly that you are completely wasting peoples time. However, I'm sure there's a cuff links forum somewhere where you can get buying advice too.

so it was the cuff links im happy to provide a definition of them if you require :D

while were on the subject what do you think of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/8147-Twist-Cuff ... _jewelry_0
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Charity shop for the suit, forget cuff links and you can get a hair cut at the local hairdressing college for no more than a fiver. Easy innit.
  • Anonymous
    edited April 2013
    Charity shop for the suit, forget cuff links and you can get a hair cut at the local hairdressing college for no more than a fiver. Easy innit.

yeah.

but I think i'd rather look nice personally each to there own :P

also I don't want people avoiding me on the bus :oops:

my local hairdressing college smells pretty bad and the hairdressers isn't very good looking . its worth £15 so I don't have look at a ugly person :lol:

charity shops kind of creep me out a bit smells like death and urine

cant have a suit without cuff links its not proper
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    £15 for a hair cut!!!

Asda do cheap suits = more biking money.

Or spend all the money on TLD shiz and turn up to the interview showing you bring the Gnarrr
  • Anonymous
    compo wrote:
    £15 for a hair cut!!!

Asda do cheap suits = more biking money.

Or spend all the money on TLD shiz and turn up to the interview showing you bring the Gnarrr

yeah £15 and a nice looking girl cuts your hair and gives you coffee while you wait :D . £5 and some jackass cuts part of ear off and you end with a infection and a trip to A+E. :oops:

yeah but im tall and skinny and would much rather have tailored clothes that fit. :wink:
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    TLD is perfect for the tall skinny type

hill.jpg

I don't need coffee in the barbers. I need a haircut.
  • Anonymous
    compo wrote:
    TLD is perfect for the tall skinny type

hill.jpg

I don't need coffee in the barbers. I need a haircut.

I think they have tea and coca cola as well. they had monster when I last visited :) happy days!

that's looks like a lovely outfit and bike but some how it doesn't say give me better jobs prospects. it says im colour blind and I didn't look in the mirror when I got dressed today. pink yellow and black :? :oops: :x

NAyq5Vj.jpg:D
  • jedi_master
    jedi_master Posts: 888
    PIDFPrY.jpg confused possible rear disc mounts?

They look more like rack/guard mounts rather than discs mounts.
  • Anonymous
    o well
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Dude i paid £50 for a shirt, tie and black trousers, are you interviewing for NASA?
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    Don't get a bike. If you need to make a good impression I'll sell you my A level and GCSE certificates for £150.
  • Anonymous
    Dude i paid £50 for a shirt, tie and black trousers, are you interviewing for NASA?

no but I still want to nice thou.

if I had a interview for NASA I would be well happy thou I hear they pay very well.

to guy who's selling his A levels can you Photoshop my name in the certificate LOL. and ill give £5 seems that what there these days
This discussion has been closed.