Light bike for 11 year old

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm posting in the MTB forum because I think that's the most suitable style of bike for my son. He isn't currently intending to do serious trail riding it'll more likely be longish family rides with a bit of bashing about on light trails with me.

He's 1.46m tall, with a 68cm inseam.

I think he could move up to a 26" wheel bike, with a small frame (maybe 14"). I think he's just about too big for 24" wheels now and certainly will be if he keeps growing like he has lately. Despite getting taller, he's still got the strength of a child so needs a light bike.

With an absolute maximum budget of £200, it's tough to find new bikes. All I've seen so far is the Rockrider 5.2 from Decathlon which comes in XS or maybe the S would be usable for him though it's out of stock.

Otherwise, it's a case of using ebay. But the detail on listings can be limited so I need some make/model recommendations to look out for.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Check out isla bikes - they are targeting kids mtb bikes properly - with the focus on light weight (for little legs) over gimmicky heavy/crap suspension often offered on kids bikes.
    http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn26lrg.html

Only issue is that is is over budget

IMO - the decathalon would be a good choice for what you/he wants it for.
  • Thanks. I'll keep my ear to the ground for an Isla but they're pretty hard to come by - I tried for my older son recently. The Decathlon option is looking like the most likely option right now.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I just got my soon-to-be 11 year old a 13" Specialized Rockhopper from eBay... £220. But - it's going to need the fork sorted (which should be a DIY job - though I may need a softer spring), and I got a new shorter stem and narrower (600mm) flat bars to get the front a bit lower and make the cockpit the right size. Bar and stem cost £25 new. I also looked at second hand Mykas... but almost everything worth having went for nearer £300.

This is all an attempt to get a bike that will take some abuse downhill and still allow an 11 year old to climb. For general XC and getting up the hills you can't beat a rigid Islabike... very light and very well set up for kids. But not cheap even 2nd hand... and if you want suspension and hydraulic discs then you are looking at serious money.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Thanks.
    Rigid would be fine, and V Brakes will suffice. I didn't know the Rockhopper came in 13". That's the kind of information that really helps me to search.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Scott Voltage YZ's also came in quite small sizes, my daughter has one, 14" frame, it was actually my elder daughters first and then the frame was passed on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My 11 year old daughter has the Rockrider Junior. It's a great bike for the cash, and relatively light compared to some of the other offerings in that type of bike. Still 24" wheels but it'll be the right size for her for a year or two.