The Wirral thread

xchudy_1325
xchudy_1325 Posts: 85
edited July 2013 in Road general
loved going down it before but the climb back home wiped me out enough that i only made it half way up before dismounting,

strava says it avgs 2.5% but edge shown me 5% either way it was to much for me on my first real climb http://app.strava.com/activities/46495996#804723186

and big props to the guy that passed me at what seemed like warp speed while i walked until it flattened out lol

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    That's not a hill- it's a speedbump ;)

The best way to get better at hills is to ride more of them. It hurts, but getting to the top is a great feeling.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    You should try School Hill in Heswall ;)

Its a steady drag up that one and a cae of pacing yourself. Stick at it and dont go too hard at the bottom. I think it averages between 7 and 8% all the way up.

Where are you based? There's a big group of us meet regularly in Greasby for Tue/Thu evenings - as well as weekend rides.
  • speed bump?!?! lol pull the other one

wirral paul, im based just outside ellesmere port, and school hill can wait for a very long time lol wouldnt mind the downhill part tho lol
  • Wirral_paul
    speed bump?!?! lol pull the other one

wirral paul, im based just outside ellesmere port, and school hill can wait for a very long time lol wouldnt mind the downhill part tho lol

Ah - a bit far to head up to meet us lot then. We have regular rides to the Eureka Cafe, and i'm originally from Great Sutton myself.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Don't panic....remember hill climbing is as much about mental fitness as it is physical.get back to it asap and just aim to ride further up than you did last time (a victory)and then try to push on to the top.
  • speed bump?!?! lol pull the other one

Ah - a bit far to head up to meet us lot then. We have regular rides to the Eureka Cafe, and i'm originally from Great Sutton myself.

little sutton here, but yeah a bit far too lol, a friend is with a club that meets out of 2 mills, going out with him on monday, should see a fair more distance covered too ready for a real go at a club run
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    Where are you based? There's a big group of us meet regularly in Greasby for Tue/Thu evenings - as well as weekend rides.

My parents are from Greasby - I'm here right now. Next time I'm back I'll bring my bike and would definitely be up for a weekend ride.
  • Wirral_paul
    Ian - you have a PM
  • Wobblehead
    Wobblehead Posts: 264
    Grill wrote:
    That's not a hill- it's a speedbump ;)

The best way to get better at hills is to ride more of them. It hurts, but getting to the top is a great feeling.

:D
  • Pickled Pig
    Pickled Pig Posts: 233

Is that Palefish? Can anyone just turn up on a Tue or Thur ? If it's OK I wouldn't mind a ride out.
  • Wirral_paul

Is that Palefish? Can anyone just turn up on a Tue or Thur ? If it's OK I wouldn't mind a ride out.

Yes thats the group. We meet at the 12th Man in Greasby at 7:30pm.
  • I did school hill and Thurston Hill on Friday, found it hard going!

There seems to be a few from the Wirral on here, what club do you all ride for?
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    There does seem to be a disproportionate amount of people from Wirral on here.

OP, how about changing the title of the thread to The Wirral Thread so we can discuss clubs. local routes and arrange ride outs etc?
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Have a swim across the water and give Shaley Brow a try :wink:
    http://www.strava.com/segments/shaley-brow-705525
  • Wirral_paul
    Graham K wrote:

Just another speed bum Graham. Swim the other way and try a proper hill...

http://app.strava.com/segments/1147400

Now thats a proper hill. It made me physically sick!! :D
  • hipshot wrote:
    There does seem to be a disproportionate amount of people from Wirral on here.

OP, how about changing the title of the thread to The Wirral Thread so we can discuss clubs. local routes and arrange ride outs etc?

will do
  • i will one day beat thurston hill, and move onto greater grades, me having to stop on saturday lit a fire under my arse, ill keep working and will get there!
  • Wirral_paul
    i will one day beat thurston hill, and move onto greater grades, me having to stop on saturday lit a fire under my ars*, ill keep working and will get there!

You'll do it - just a case of not going into it too quickly and be in the right gear right from the start of the climb. Its almost the same gradient all the way up (marginally steeper at the top) so if you pace it right, then you can do it in one gear.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Graham K wrote:

Just another speed bum Graham. Swim the other way and try a proper hill...

http://app.strava.com/segments/1147400

Now thats a proper hill. It made me physically sick!! :D

Looks harsh.
    I keep saying I am gonna ride into Llansannan, its in a wee dip, say from St Asaph > Llansannan > Denbigh > St Asaph.
    Enough to make you feel like youve done abit.
  • Wirral_paul
    Some cracking riding out in that area Graham. This is one I fancy doing again some time though - my favourite ride of last year. As you say - a bit of almost everything with some nice steady climbs rather than real lung busters....

http://app.strava.com/activities/9473240
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I would certainly be up for a few Wirral rides now I have come out of my winter hibernation. I just need to get a few miles under my belt first to shed the extra pounds I have put on due to lack of exercise.

I have only been on a few short rides this year, my last one was stopped short because I could not feel my feet anymore. I have just ordered some overshoes from Planet X to sort that problem out.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    I was back in the Wirral at the weekend and went running. Saw quite a few nice bikes out there - Willier, Specialized and others. The increase in cyclists around the area was really noticeable, having been away.
  • little sutton here, but yeah a bit far too lol, a friend is with a club that meets out of 2 mills, going out with him on monday, should see a fair more distance covered too ready for a real go at a club run

I'm from Great Sutton and would be interested in rides from the Eureka café, what club is your friend in? I've been looking at Port Sunlight Wheelers as I know they ride from the Eureka on a Sunday.
    Still trying to convince the missus of the n+1 rule...!
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Has anyone else used the new Burton Marsh cycle route from Neston to Deeside? Its not quite completed, but open all the same. Hats off to those responsible, it's excellent, what a great new route into Wales...

Boardwalk.jpg

Map here http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=521710
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Worth buying a passport just to try that out.

Here's a route on the wirral from CW from ages ago
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    hipshot wrote:
    Has anyone else used the new Burton Marsh cycle route from Neston to Deeside? Its not quite completed, but open all the same. Hats off to those responsible, it's excellent, what a great new route into Wales...

Boardwalk.jpg

Believe it or not, the beautiful smooth tarmic before and after that boardwalk is about to be covered in gravel. I am not making this up.

It's about making it look 'rustic' apparently, disregarding the fact there's a railway line on one side and an MOD firing range on the other.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I should add that the Wirral has always been a hotbed of cycling. I've lived here for only 13 years, but prior to this was pretty active in Lincolnshire. I was amazed by the number of cyclists here when I moved. But now, it's even more popular. Pretty much impossible to go for a ride and not see other keen cyclists.
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Hi all, anyone got a nice 15-20 mile Wirral route to recommend for me in the morning ?

Thanks tony :D
  • Depending where your from if you are bromborough way head out to Burton, Ness And Parkgate or if further up Prenton/Bebington I like to head down levers causeway to heswall, west kirby, Moreton and then home.
  • stepdavi
    stepdavi Posts: 135
    dodgy wrote:
    hipshot wrote:

Boardwalk.jpg

Believe it or not, the beautiful smooth tarmic before and after that boardwalk is about to be covered in gravel. I am not making this up.

It's about making it look 'rustic' apparently, disregarding the fact there's a railway line on one side and an MOD firing range on the other.
    It looks rustic now, its covered in sheep Sh?t!
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2