Return to the Hel

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited March 2013 in Pro race
OK, so it's not the Tour of Flanders but this is on tomorrow:

http://www.helvanhetmergelland.nl/

Almost 200km of rolling Dutch countryside, dangerous street furniture and, if they are not lucky, snow.

There's a decent line up, including Blanco, Katusha, Vacansoleil, and notable riders including local lad Rob Ruijgh, Gerald Ciolek and previous winner Pim Ligthart.

Kick off is at 12.00 and there will probably be live streaming on Limburg TV from mid-afternoon. Go to:

http://www.l1.nl/programma/l1sprt

and click on L1 TV at the top right of the page.

Cheers,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    pottssteve wrote:
    Almost 200km of rolling Dutch countryside
    ‘Rolling countryside’ means 22 climbs, or to be more accurate 8 climbs, six of which they ride 3 times, the other two twice. And some of the route is the same as the Amstel.

Also on tomorrow is the GP Indurain, and the field supposedly includes Kreuziger, Nic Roche, Talansky, Sam Sanchez, Kolobnev and (perhaps) Valverde.
  • pottssteve
    knedlicky wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Almost 200km of rolling Dutch countryside
    ‘Rolling countryside’ means 22 climbs, or to be more accurate 8 climbs, six of which they ride 3 times, the other two twice. And some of the route is the same as the Amstel.

Also on tomorrow is the GP Indurain, and the field supposedly includes Kreuziger, Nic Roche, Talansky, Sam Sanchez, Kolobnev and (perhaps) Valverde.

Indeed. It may not be the Alps but there's not much flat stuff. Amstel this year has over 4000m of climbing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    I saw the past couple of editions.
    A pretty fair race, imo, so I'll be watching again tomorrow.
    Well over 2 hours of live coverage, with decent feeds, too, that are already available:

http://player.l1.nl/

From 2pm GMT on..........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pottssteve
    I saw the past couple of editions.
    A pretty fair race, imo, so I'll be watching again tomorrow.
    Well over 2 hours of live coverage, with decent feeds, too, that are already available:

http://player.l1.nl/

From 2pm GMT on..........

It's my local race so I have been at the last 2 editions and done the sportive, which is hard work. It's not an easy race - last year I think only about a third of the field finished inside the time limit. Weather looks good today - no snow, light breeze and even a bit of sunshine. I will be riding from place to place trying to catch up with them so if you see a slightly chubby bloke in a day-glo rain jacket, collapsed by the side of the road next to a Tricross it might be me!
  • blazing_saddles
    The Climbs:

Heiweg Eijsden 1900m 69m 3.6%
    Bukel Margraten 900m 37m 4.1%
    Örenberg Margraten 600m 39m 6.5%
    Keunestraat Margraten 800m 43m 5.4%
    Bergenhuizen Margraten 600m 48m 8.0%
    Scheij Margraten 1800m 55m 3.1%
    Loorberg Slenaken 1500m 83m 5.5%
    Varnstraat Voeren 1300m 61m 4.7%
    Crindaal Voeren 1600m 92m 5.8%

All ridden 3 times. A pity that the only flat in the race comes with the final kms.
  • They had a pretty snappy ticker last year too, no? Is Curacao no longer recognised as a UCI member? Why is de Maar not in his national strip nowadays?

The UHC team looks nice, hopefully Reijnen can do something good today. Also see that Geschke's not racing this.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
  • blazing_saddles
    Live now for the start and my epg says it's on until 1 o'clock.
  • pottssteve
    Just got back from the course. Managed to see them at 3 different places and yell a bit of encouragement. Missed the start as I got to the garage to find that my bike had a slow puncture and the rear tyre was flat.....Bloody flint stones.

Sunny but very cold out - a little snow up on the plateau above Maastricht. Pace is not high, partly due to quite a stiff breeze from the NE. There was a leading group of about a dozen guys as they headed into the second loop.

Quick shower, then wait for it to come on the TV. Day seized!

Steve
  • blazing_saddles
    Live now with 84kms to go.............
    Some big names half a minute in front of the bunch.
  • pottssteve
    Live now, indeed. I love seeing where I ride on the TV!

Enjoy!

Steve
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Link doesn't work for me :cry:

Edit, just looks really slow as I have flashes. Will watch the highlights later. I recognise only about 15% of the startlist!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    Mmmm, was beginning to think that technical difficulties were not going to be sorted, but we are back live with 33 kms left.
    Old man Rebellin stirring up the kop group
  • blazing_saddles
    Selig owned that uphill sprint.
    Katusha keeping their winning ways.
    Cobrelli
    Martens
    Rebellin
    Lithgart

Not complete unknowns, FF. :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    2 for 5 on that top 5!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • From the spluttering images I saw, it seemed that Katusha did ride unlike Brutt for a chunk of last year's race.
    pottssteve wrote:
    Just got back from the course. Managed to see them at 3 different places and yell a bit of encouragement. Missed the start as I got to the garage to find that my bike had a slow puncture and the rear tyre was flat.....Bloody flint stones.

Sunny but very cold out - a little snow up on the plateau above Maastricht. Pace is not high, partly due to quite a stiff breeze from the NE. There was a leading group of about a dozen guys as they headed into the second loop.

Quick shower, then wait for it to come on the TV. Day seized!

Steve
    Reads brilliant, hope twas a good one.
  • pottssteve
    It was a shame that the Limburg TV motocamera didn't work - I think they only have one! There was no helicopter this year; they were using cars with antennae and little dishes on the roof at places along the route, so maybe that was the issue. That last finishing straight is hard work - slightly uphill and cobbled - Selig was very strong and jumped at about the same place as last year's winner. I was hoping that Champion System would have someone in the last stages but they are finding the step up in level a challenge.

Thanks, wombly knees. Yes, despite technical difficulties it was a good one and the wife came back from shopping in Liege with some Val Dieu beer, so that should finish me off nicely!

Coming soon - Amstel Gold Race.

Steve
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    A good day for Katusha with Spilak winning the GP Indurain by a minute and a half.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet