fausto coppi-any good?

oliver98
oliver98 Posts: 12
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi, I have the chance to buy a fausto coppi gavia road bike. does anyone know anything about them?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Fairly entry level road bike with a 7005 frame - made for one of the Italian Sports shop chains I believe. Its certainly not a genuine Coppi frame - so dont put anything in the name on the downtube when valuing it.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    oliver98 wrote:
    Hi, I have the chance to buy a fausto coppi gavia road bike. does anyone know anything about them?

Don't know the price you have been quoted or condition of bike but even if it is immaculate don't pay more than £180 or so.
  • I had a Coppi for about 3/4 years, they were sold quite widely through good bike shops in the early 2000s, then they disappeared from the UK.

They were in a similar price bracket to Alu Specialized/Trek bikes of the time £400-1000 depending on the spec. Mine rode OK, the paintwork was lovely, but watch the sizing as the frames were 'oversized' my 58cm felt more like a 60cm bike and was ultimately too big so I sold it. The geometry was quite aggressive also, so try before you buy...

If it is in good condition, it will be most probably be an OK bike...but it is what it is, a decent but basic bike, and about 10-12 years old (unless the spec is great £150 max).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are some quality Coppi frames that were built by Giovanni Pelizzoli at Masciaghi, but the majority were cheap, Taiwanese built 7005 alloy frames.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..