Rapha Lightweight Shorts

sloppyschleckonds
sloppyschleckonds Posts: 8,019
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Anyone tried theses yet? I had the Rapha classics but didn't like them much. Usually ride lusso, castelli & assos but need some new ones. And the red/ black would match my castelli jerseys quite nice.

These:
3883-06.jpg
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I don't think it's possible for bibs to be better than Castelli Body Paints. If these do happen to be that magical bib, then I will buy one for each day of the week!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I'd be quite interested to know how good these are too. Recently bought a pair of Rapha classics and think they're great. If/when the weather warms up the lightweights might be a good idea.
    Planet X XLS 2013
    Planet X London Road 2015
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    For the UK I'd probably stick to the standard Pro Team bibs.
  • Too lightweight?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Grill wrote:
    I don't think it's possible for bibs to be better than Castelli Body Paints. If these do happen to be that magical bib, then I will buy one for each day of the week!

+1, castelli also do a lightweight inferno version of the body paints. Very good.
  • thegreatdivide
    Too lightweight?

Haven't tried them myself, but the Pro's are already pretty light on fabric so not ideal for coldish temps, these might be too much! I love the look of them though.
  • I may take the plunge, Majorca in a couple of weeks and France & Italy in the summer these should be ideal.
  • thegreatdivide
    Looks like pride4ever has got himself a new profile. LOL awesome brah (or whatever that nonce-sense is you spout).
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I just bought a pair of these. They're not that lightweight, if I compare them to other bibs I own. But they fit me very well and the styling is nice.

I'm not concerned about being cold while wearing them, even in our modest UK summer temperatures.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • What do you think of the pad, it seems to be the most padded pad I've ever used. 10/10 from me. Fit is much better than the classic bibs.
  • Smirf
    Smirf Posts: 123
    Also recently bought a pair as a little treat. They might be lightweight, but worn them twice recently and haven't felt cold in them during our delightful weather! I tried the classics too, and didn't like the fit, these felt a lot nicer.

Did the castle 100 on sunday and no issues - well, apart from the engine they were covering!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
    Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wore them for the first time, yesterday evening. The pad is great - as comfortable as I imagined it would be when I tried them on. It's not as padded as the 3/4 bibs as far as I can tell, but then they feel like a different fit thanks to the different fabric. I think.

As for the lightweightness (is that really a word? No, Ben, it isn't)... well the tarmac wasn't exactly melting, but I wasn't remotely chilly and wishing I had worn a heavier pair of bibs.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wore mine at 6:30 am today in London. They're not really 'lightweight' IMO comfier than the classics, not as comfy as Castelli's BodyPaint offerings.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mine came in today along with the Super Lightweight Jersey and cap. Hopefully I won't die of heatstroke in Arizona over the next couple weeks!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg