SRAM Groupset Any Force/red experts?

Spazzolino
Spazzolino Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello Chaps,

New bloke here looking for some advice. Im looking to upgrade my groupset from Shmano 105 and Im considering SRAM.

Now, I think the force is really my budget, but then I keep looking at the red and wondering.... should I?? is it worth the extra, after all I don't race, but i want the bike to lose a bit of waste.
So the first question is: is it worth the extra bucks? how much extra weight am I really going to save and is there much performance difference?

My second question relates to SRAM force. I have been looking at various locations to buy with some good deals about. However, I do notice that the 2011 force looks pretty similar to the 2012. The shifters really (chain rings are different). Can someone really tell me what the difference is between 2011 shifters and 2012? how can i tell the difference and ensure I get the right deal?

Ok thanks guys !

Spatz

Comments

• Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    Do you mean 2012 compared to 2013? If so, you are right, they have given the new Force all of the old Red components so they now have the zero loss rear shifters (super quick shifts) and the Red chainrings (marginally stiffer).

If I was looking at force now I would definitely get the current version as I think the zero loss shifters are worth it. FWIW I have 2012 Force with Red shifters for precisely this reason.

As many on here will tell you Groupsets are all good above a certain price point and it really comes down to which one feels the nice to ride with. I have ridiculously short fingers so fine the big paddles the easiest to manage in the drops and the hoods are as comfy as any.

Hope that helps
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Have Red on my summer bike & force on the winter bike.

In terms of weight saving I personally don't think its that noticeable though it is a factor & if the only one (for me on the winter bike have heavier winter wheels/tyres so not a fair comparison) I doubt would cause much of a difference.

We the 2013 upgrade to the Force set you will find the shifting so smooth that compared to a full Red set up again you might not get a noticeable difference. Though again is not a straight comparison unless you were running 2 bikes with both I think you would easily get used to both set ups.

If its the money you are concerned with then perhaps you should go with the newer Force (a very good group set) and save your pennies or spend them elsewhere?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Got Red and Rival currently and had Force in the past. Difference is negligible and weight saving not worth worrying about so I would save your pennies.
  • What Nochekmate says
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I ride with Force/Rival/Apex or a combination of them on my bikes. TBH they're all great. I have ridden red and apart from the "bling" factor, do not feel the need to upgrade (all 2012 and older though).
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have the 2013 Force chainring, BB30 and cassette on my road bike. I am not using SRAM shifting though. The chainring and cranks are re-badged 2012 Red (with the lovely carbon cranks), but at quite a financial saving.

Weight wise, the 2013 Force is 645g for the front cogset with BB30, 2013 Red is 557g without the BB30. In GXP format, both sets are heavier and the difference is approx 150g, less the weight of a Red GPX bearing at 55g. So, in reality, Red is 40g lighter in BB30 format and approx 100g lighter in GPX format.

Many riders with 2012 or older Red use the Force rear cassette as these were much quieter. Red cassettes are a thing of utter beauty with the majority of it CNC machined from one billet of heat treated aluminium. The 2013 Red unit is 75g lighter than the 2013 Force unit, at 135g. That is rather offset by a price tag of approx £250, as opposed to £60 :shock: SRAM say that the 2013 Red cassette is now silent.

I had the choice between Ultegra and 2013 Force. For me, Force won on weight, looks and quality.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    have ridden full Apex, full rival and a mix of red/force

Only differences I found is that Red brakes compared to rival/apex are much better (never tried force brakes). and red shifters feel smoother than apex/rival (never tried force shifters)

There are obvious weight differences but the difference is probalby less than the weight of a bowel movement.

They are all good groupsets to be honest and wouldnt go mad about getting red unless you have cash to burn.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    Sram red 2011 shifters and chain set are the same as 2013 force ones.

2013 red shifters and front mech and chain set has yaw technology which means the front mech twists when shifting and thus no trim require.

Old force and rivals are more or less the same marginal savings on weight.

2012/13 red group set is quite expensive for what they are.

No idea on your budget, but I have 2011 red shifters, red chain set and front mech and force rear they work fine. You can reduce the cost further for opting full force pre-2013. The force chain set is also carbon. The stiffness difference between that and red would be pretty difficult to tell. So all down to aesthetics. Tho you can go for a force chain set and replace the large ring to red to get that look.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Any weight savings over 105 will be pretty small. Does your performance improve when you have emptied your water bottle? That's a 500g saving with a normal bottle.

Weight savings from wheels I can understand but personally I wouldn't bother. 105 is a really good and dependable group set.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd go up to Force, Red just seems like too much money TBH. If mixing I'd go Rival with Force chainset & brakes. I love SRAM's stuff.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    nammynake wrote:
    Any weight savings over 105 will be pretty small. Does your performance improve when you have emptied your water bottle? That's a 500g saving with a normal bottle.

Weight savings from wheels I can understand but personally I wouldn't bother. 105 is a really good and dependable group set.

Yes, I prefer SRAM but 105 is as good as any of us 'needs'. I'd wait until you had some wear out of it myself.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Hello chaps,

Great advice from all! many thanks. So just to let a couple of you know. I have had the 105 for a while now. Chainrings, rear cassette and chain are gonna need to be replaced pretty soon. So i thought while I was at it I would make the upgrade.

So, the force 2013 is going to be the new one.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in with advice
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    If you haven't bought yet check out Fudges Cycles website. I bought mine from them, you can use the mix and match purchase option to get what you want from across the ranges.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Got some Sram Force for sale, demo miles only so perfect.
    Front and rear mechs, 105 cassette 11-25 and bb30 175mm 52-39 chainset.
    Shifters too and a gold KMC 10speed chain
    PM me if interested
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.